getting back to biking

spacemonkey
spacemonkey Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all

much like title says im getting back into mountain biking, i rode a lot during my mid teens were i rode mostly a dmr single speed but also had a rockhooper disc at one point. im now 24 and i am looking to get my first full suspension bike. ive been trawling the internet like a crazed monkey trying to find "the one" but keep coming back to a few points.

1. am i out do-ing myself here by wanting a full sus. i.e will a hard tail suite me better
2. which bike of those would best suite my riding style.

ok i realise these are totally subjective questions to answer. I live in aberdeen scotland so most of the riding i would like to do will be trail riding although this may very due to location. there are as much ups as there are down hills over here so something thats not the bloody titanic to pedal up a hill would be a major plus. i wouldnt call myself a super aggresive rider but i do like a little bit of speed. i have been looking at:

cube hanzz pro
lapierre froggy 218
ghost amr 5700
(just to name a few)
can you posssibly tell me if im looking in the totally wrong direction, also would i be better suited to buying a hardtail for the time being? i would really like pretty much any feed back thats available, please feel free to ask questions and i will do my best to answer then asap

many thanks in advance
chris

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The cube and lappierre are not what you are looking for really. Too slack, heavy etc. If you want to go FS then something like a stumpjumper evo or a lappeirre spicy would be perfect
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The cube and lappierre are not what you are looking for really. Too slack, heavy etc. If you want to go FS then something like a stumpjumper evo or a lappeirre spicy would be perfect

Totally agree,

Alos look at Giant Reign x, Scott Ransom, etc all very capable bikes both up and down.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Orange 5 or maybe even one of those 120mm Whytes? I've ridden in Aberdeenshire - Royal Deeside, Mt Keen etc - I defintealy would go over 150mm if I were you as alot of trails up there are LONG are you'll want something fairly efficient over distnace. I'd go for 120mm-140mm travel from what you've said. To be totally honest I rode up there on my inbred hardtail last year and it was fine but I'm a bit of purist at heart.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.