I think my headset may be knackered!

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi

If i tighten my headset up so there is no movement forwards and backwards it doesnt steer properly and if its loose enough to steer if has some give forwards and backwards! i have a feeling this isnt a good sign!

could this be salvagable and if not what kind of expense is involved in sorting it? my bike has cost me quite a bit recently (new wheels, rear mech, shifters etc) so i'm hoping not too much!!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Have you tried half the way?
    Sometimes headsets can be temperamental... however, if the bearings are rusted, you'll have to change them.
    It's difficult to give you advice without seeing the actual part
    left the forum March 2023
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    When you are tightening the headset are the bolts holding the bar loose enough so that they are not resisting the tightening. I find it just needs 1/8 of a turn to go from loose to tight.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    maybe i'll give it another go and try tiny adjustments either way and see if i can get it right! fingers crossed!

if i cant its probably not a big enough issue to try and justify to myself a new bike?!!? or is it?!?! hmmmm.....
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Chris Bass wrote:
    if i cant its probably not a big enough issue to try and justify to myself a new bike?

Not unless you've already decided to and are looking for justification. The most expensive likely issue is a completely unserviceable headset, in which case you'll be able to get a new one fully fitted by the lbs for around £50 (including a nothing-special type of headset - you can pay more)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Nope - sorry - the advice above is uterly, utterly wrong. In fact it could cause you to die.

In this case you are completely right.

Its funked. Shot. Defunct. Deceased. You need a new bike I am afraid. A Ritte Bomberg. With deep rim carbon wheels and full 2012 SRAM Red. Its the only thing that will sort this headset issue out.

Headsets are one of those massivekly underrated things that can kill you at a micro nano-seconds notice. Its not worth risking.

I would suggest getting the old bike, smacking it with a sledge hammer a few times so that some poor unknowing person can't take it and die themselves due to the headset issue and throw it in next door's garden.
    Then buy the Ritte.

HTH

Y
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yossie wrote:
    Its funked. Shot. Defunct. Deceased. You need a new bike I am afraid. A Ritte Bomberg. With deep rim carbon wheels and full 2012 SRAM Red. Its the only thing that will sort this headset issue out.

NOOOOO! You are wrong, wrong WRONG!

The OP does need a new headset - I recommend a Campagnolo Hiddenset.

The issue with this is that the Hiddenset may not fit the existing frame, in which case, the OP wil need to get an Italian frame, something like a Colnago or Cinelli. And this will envariably mean the the existing groupset will not fit (all Italian frames have backwards threads - a known issue). So he'll have to get something called a 'gruppo', such as Super Record, that fit on backwards.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Agree completely - the only problem with this route is that to make it all work you have to use Obermayer IIIs as opposed to having to use Obermayer IIIs if you go Red.

So therefore Obermayer IIIs are the only wheels that will work with any groupset you put on the new frame.

I'm not sure why manufacturers decided this, but there you go: Obermayers IIIs are the only choice I am afraid.

As an aside, things like Ultegra, Veloce, etc won't work with any new frame produced after 01.05.1981, so not worth even worth looking at any options thereon - Red 2012 or Super Record 11 I am afraid.

If you die you can't say that we didn't warn you.

HTH

Y