Shimano bb help please

silencesound
silencesound Posts: 75
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know what could be causing my chainset/bb to start creaking ? Its the shimano deore m590 model. Is it likely to be a worn bb?
PS creaks more when under more pressure.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the pinch bolts done up/bearings loaded correctly?
  • Well i take it they are, but i never fitted it . It was an entire new chainset fitted at the time and it was fine until now. It has done around 400 miles, all of road and mostly mucky wet natural trails.
  • supersonic
    Needs to be checked every so often. I'd by a HT2 tool, take the cranks off, clean, and put back on.
  • Ok will do that, thank you for the quick reply and help. Off to crc for the tools needed. Any chance you could give me a link to a good bb service video.
  • supersonic
    Park Tools website has a great guide to HT2 installation - the bearings themselves are not supposed to be serviced, but you can prise the seals off and flushe out and grease.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Check the chainring bolts - they can cause a creak under pressure. Tighten them.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Could also be down to the pivot bearings if your on a full-sus (and not actually anything to do with the drivetrain).
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • thanks for all the advice, checked the chain ring bolts they seem fine and its a carrera fury hardtail not a full sus. Think i will just order up a new bb with the bb removal tool only 13 pounds anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BB tools is handy, but you probably don't need it. Unlikely the cups are loose. To remove the cranks, clean and preload the bearings you just need an allen key and the black plastic tool to preload the bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools