New Wheels - Recommendations?

u33db
u33db Posts: 68
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm starting a new job next week which has no car parking.

As such i'm going to start using my bike to commute one way then get the train back.

The bike is a Halfords Apollo (*awaits slating*) front suspension job which i bought a few years back for £180. I've already binned the suspension forks for some solid Kona P2s, changed to a hydraulic front disc and fitted some Continental Travelcontact slicks.

Its light and quick enough for my needs now but the cheapo wheels have buckled and really need replaced.

Can anyone recommend good replacements (disc front, v brake rear) to me?

I don't want to spend massive money but i need something thats light and still strong as i'll be fitting a rack.

Advice and opinions welcome.

:)

Comments

• Hairylegs66
    Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
    Perhaps take a look at someone like Merlin''s website and see what's on offer- they are doing mach rims on Shimano Deore hubs for under £90 for the pair once the discount is applied (disc front, rim rear).
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    Thanks, i'll take a look! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not get used, decent front disc wheels and decent rim rears shouldn't cost more than about £30 plus delivery.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.