Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose...

jejv
jejv Posts: 566
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
poster.jpg

In older news:
1147.jpg

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

People believe what they want to believe I suppose. Just heard The World At One and it sounds like a non-story by now.

Still. Carry on. We had 11 years of pointing & laughing at blair, mandelson & brown, so you may as well have your turn.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    Does seem to match the previous version with Liam Fox - i.e. people promising access to the top that they can't actually deliver. I wonder whether they know they can't but think they might make a few quid by pretending, or actually think that they do have the influence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'm surpised that anyone is surprised......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not at all surprising. I'm sure all parties are at it, but its a pretty weak response from the Tory boys to just say "Labour do it too" which is what I've been hearing since the story broke. Do you think its acceptable or not? If not, what are you going to do about it?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    rjsterry wrote:
    Does seem to match all politicians - i.e. people promising access to the top that they can't actually deliver. I wonder whether they know they can't but think they might make a few quid by pretending, or actually think that they do have the influence.

FTFY.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Does seem to match all politicians - i.e. people promising access to the top that they can't actually deliver. I wonder whether they know they can't but think they might make a few quid by pretending, or actually think that they do have the influence.

FTFY.

Many, yes, but I'm not so cynical as to say all, yet. Trouble is the less grasping ones tend to be destined for a life on the back benches.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BigMat wrote:
    Not at all surprising. I'm sure all parties are at it, but its a pretty weak response from the Tory boys to just say "Labour do it too" which is what I've been hearing since the story broke. Do you think its acceptable or not? If not, what are you going to do about it?
    +1, Its a really tired response.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited March 2012
    Political party funding: nightmare. As usual we lag behind our American cousins in most things to do with money and marketing, but if you look at how much (and how) their Presidential candidates raise and spend it will make your blood run cold.

And yet what message does it convey? It tells me that the candidate party has a skill at extracting and spending the maximum sum they possibly can. And yet they want me to let them be in charge of taxation and Government spending.

You need a cap. How it works is a whole different game. But I would like to see a capped fund. "We'll give you each £x, and we'll judge you partly on how well you spend it". Shouldn't that be a basic test for anyone who wants to run a country?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

It's to stop people making party political capital out of it.

All parties do it. Tories do it, Labour do it, the Lib Dems get £2.4m from professional fraudsters.

Stop people giving them cash for anything.

Then there'll be no more 'cash-for' scandals.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

All parties do it. Tories do it, Labour do it, the Lib Dems get £2.4m from professional fraudsters.

People will still try and buy influence. Why would they not?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

People will still try and buy influence. Why would they not?

Of course.

But what's wrong with making it more difficult for people to influence politicians with cash?

I think everyone agrees that we want politicians to be persuaded by arguments and good quality evidence, not cash.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg66 wrote:
    Political party funding: nightmare. As usual we lag behind our American cousins in most things to do with money and marketing, but if you look at how much (and how) their Presidential candidates raise and spend it will make your blood run cold.

And yet what message does it convey? It tells me that the candidate party has a skill at extracting and spending the maximum sum they possibly can. And yet they want me to let them be in charge of taxation and Government spending.

You need a cap. How it works is a whole different game. But I would like to see a capped fund. "We'll give you each £x, and we'll judge you partly on how well you spend it". Shouldn't that be a basic test for anyone who wants to run a country?

This would be a great system. The way current political party funding works leads to a situation where money buys political influence. Which is a pretty natural state of affairs really, when you think about it. I'd like to see us go against that though.