More Food or More Fitness?

Devon Lad
Devon Lad Posts: 75
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I was on a Club Ride last weekend, and turned up originally intending to do the leisurely 40 miler. However, as it was a cracking day, I decided to hop on the 65 mile ride across some beautiful but punishing landscape with a markedly higher average speed.

As it was I had turned up to the ride with 2 gels, a viper bar, and one of my bottles filled with SIS mix. Over 40 miles this would usually be adequate, including a cafe stop. However on the longer faster ride, after feeling comfortable and great for 25-30 miles (climbing the hills near the front of the group, doing turns on the front on the flat) the bottom dropped out. I noticed on a long drag that my legs didn't have any power any more, breathing was fine.

The remaining half of the ride I felt ill and only just managed to cling on until I got back. I have had this feeling on other occasions, however it was not halfway through a ride and usually when I had been smashing it over a short 30km route.

The point is, does this sound like something I can attribute to lack of conditioning? Or is it simply not eating enough?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    More food!

If you kept pace with everyone then you must be fit enough, just sometimes you run out of energy. Happens to everyone at some point.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sounds like a bit of both. Doing turns on the front and getting KOM points when you are not used to the overall speed/length was probably the final nail in the coffin and brought about, understandably, by over-exuberence :). You are not alone though, I see the same thing happen in the first half of most big rides I do (sportives, audaxes, etc.) whereas in club rides folks seem less likely to get swept along at the wrong pace because the groups have a known capability (so a B rider won't go out with the A group without some awareness of the need for a little caution).
  • Devon Lad
    Since my sporting background has mainly been Rugby, this endurance lark is fairly new to me, and I think it is beginning to hit home that turning up with a couple of token gels and a bar in your back pocket isn't good enough! :D What quantity of food would you consider taking for say a 4-5 hour ride?

As for the over-exuberence, I must admit to being guilty on all counts. If there is a group up the road and I am somewhere in the middle and feeling alright I will bridge it even if it will all come back together in a few miles. I'm also a sucker for the many impromptu intermediate sprints for town signs!

Thanks a lot!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    4-5 hour ride

Its hard to say really. Depends how hard you're going. For example, I never bother with food if Im doing a 40miler, I just take a bottle of water.

Last time I did a hard 60 miler I only had a few sugary sweets and I nearly bonked at the end, I could feel it coming on so had to pootle for the last 3 miles.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Both.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I did a similar distance at the weekend over Exmoor and ate 3 cereal bars, one banana, a bag of crisps and got through a 750ml bottle of weak orange. Mind you I wasn't going at a "markedly higher average speed", I was just going briskly

You probably need to be a little bit fitter to cope with the higher speed and probably need a little more food for that sort of distance.

That's the real reason some riders do "fat burning pace" rides. They aren't trying to get rid of a spare tyre. They are trying to convince their body that it likes to use fat reserves for fuel on long rides instead of having to eat gels/bars etc.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun burning yourself out so I wouldn't be too unhappy with that ride if I were you.

As others have said both food and fitness will help. I'd suggest doing the same ride next time with 3 bars and trying to eat at about 20, 35 and 50 miles. If you keep a caffinated gel for emergencies (incredible what caffine can do you you at the right time) and try to gauge how cooked your legs are after a each attack you should be fine (I'd say don't attack and just work on pace but that's no fun).
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    As stated before, a bit of both and not enough fluid (unless you topped up the water bottle at the stop). One observation, gels only really give a short term benefit, so it may be worth considering eating something with a slower burn, for sustained energy.

Which ride was it: 16 or 14? I'm told the pace for the 14 was a little higher than normal, and the 16 ended up being closer to a 17ave for some riders.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Devon Lad
    Thanks a lot for all the replies. I think in future I will take more food, and cycle longer distances on my own, but at a slower pace to see if I can steady things out. It was the 16 :D

Thanks again for the advice!