Comments

• markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    rozzer32 wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I could drop the fact of sram vs campag grand tour wins. But it's old news

Am I mis-reading this.

You think SRAM has more Grand Tour wins than Campagnolo? I'd like to see the stats to back that one up!! ;):)

Not counting the times before Sram was on the market of course!!!! haha, I know Campag dominated the grand tours in the olden days.

But bit harsh comparing when one of them hadn't been invented yet. But anyway glad see to your defending your campag god so much and not biting on anything I say.

Campag is as good as any other the systems. I prefer sram, I prefer the hoods, prefer the shifting and it's a bonus it is lighter. Some people prefer shimano, some campag. I only rode campag once and hated it. Just personal preference.

Maybe you'll see the light one day :wink: (that was another joke by the way).

To get SRAM Red to Pro Level standard (ie the same as Super Record) you need Rival brakes and a Force front mech, plus a different brands cassette. Adding another 60odd grams, dont think that makes it the lightest?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    rozzer32 wrote:
    campag god

Glad you acknowledged that Campag is so good that it has it's own deity.. ;)
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Maybe you'll see the light one day :wink: (that was another joke by the way).

I may. Not tried SRAM yet but will be all too happy to admit it is the better groupset when I try it, and if it is!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    All this talk about groupset Gods reminds me of this Daily Mash classic

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 105123805/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It’s ‘Campagnolo’ or at a push ‘Campag’, but never ‘Campy’. As this is the Road Beginners forum you’re excused...but just this one time ;-)

Also – it’s not going over to the dark side – it’s seeing the light.

My mrs insists in calling it "Campagnolio" :shock:
    Bless 'er, I prefer to call it 'perfection', ahhhh .....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    giant man wrote:
    It’s ‘Campagnolo’ or at a push ‘Campag’, but never ‘Campy’. As this is the Road Beginners forum you’re excused...but just this one time ;-)

Also – it’s not going over to the dark side – it’s seeing the light.

My mrs insists in calling it "Campagnolio" :shock:
    Bless 'er, I prefer to call it 'perfection', ahhhh .....

Where's the bloody "like" or "exalt" button when you need it?!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Oh by the way I need some suggestions on what to spend the £500 I saved on getting SRAM red instead of super record.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Its already £500 cheaper? Thought its only been out a few weeks?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Wow! I think I may join a computing forum and ask 'whats better - Mac, Windows or Linux?!'.

Anyway - what an improvement! I have the lot on and it is the best shifting I have ever felt! Bike weight has reduced by 800g and runs like silk! I really like the shape of the hoods - it seems like my hads just slot into them rather than me gripping on. Still getting the jist of the trim feature on the front shifter - i have 3 index points thay go one at a time when going up and the thumb shifter then dumps the entire lot on a downshift, requiring a click of the paddle to trim the mech if i am in gears 4+ (from the biggest) on the back.

Tooling was fine, the BB cups used the same tool as for Shimarno Holotec 2, and the crank only needed a 14mm allen key (found in an automotive oil drainplug kit) to torque it up. Only other part was the cassett lock ring tool - £6 for a park one.

I love the fully under the bars setup - looks very swish, but I cant get radio on my shifters anymore... I like the brake release being on the shifter not the caliper - no more forgeting to do it up and getting a long brake pull. The cassett is a little less bling (shiny) than my Shimarno one, but I guess the line is 'classy not bling'. Also amazed at how quietly it runs - I could always hear the rear cogs meshing and un-meshing before, even with a new cassett and chain, but now nothing...

I wont get the chance to do a big ride until the weekend, but I'll report back then. But for now I'll say that I've seen the light with CAMPAGNOLO, and may not look back! For the cost of 105 this seems to perform better than Ultegra in terms of noise, smoothness and build quality.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    http://inrng.com/2011/01/2011-team-bike ... ampagnolo/

8 out of 18 Pro Tour teams can't be wrong....

3 probably can.... only OPQS reaslised it last year though and now look where they are! Not even the Italians want to use Campy!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    If you buy SRAM you need to be careful you don’t snag pedestrians on your ridiculously MASSIVE rear derailleur cable ;-)
  • ddraver
    If you buy SRAM you need to be careful you don’t snag pedestrians on your ridiculously MASSIVE rear derailleur cable ;-)

No that is a fair point actually - it's wierd they do that on the road when They were the first MTB company (Ok, the other MTB company) to stop doing precisely that...
    - @ddraver
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    ddraver wrote:
    http://inrng.com/2011/01/2011-team-bikes-the-decline-of-campagnolo/

8 out of 18 Pro Tour teams can't be wrong....

3 probably can.... only OPQS reaslised it last year though and now look where they are! Not even the Italians want to use Campy!!!
    erm.... hang on the real concern here is the commercial buying power of the Japs and US - the pros will ride what they are paid most to ride

they are not buyers!

and being priced out of the pro-tour spotlight could kill of Campagnolo in the longer term
  • ddraver
    Oh but if it was soooooooooooooo much better then surely they would all be on it - Garmin Cervelo bought all their Shimano Di2 stuff themselves for example...

Alternatively, we could all accept that they re all as good as each other and it's just personal preference but that seems to be impossible with Campy fanbois...and it does seem to be specific to Campy...as they seem to need to tell everyone how much better it is,which it isnt, it's the same...
    - @ddraver
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh but if it was soooooooooooooo much better then surely they would all be on it - Garmin Cervelo bought all their Shimano Di2 stuff themselves for example...

Alternatively, we could all accept that they re all as good as each other and it's just personal preference but that seems to be impossible with Campy fanbois...and it does seem to be specific to Campy...as they seem to need to tell everyone how much better it is,which it isnt, it's the same...

I'd argue with that and say SRAM users are just as bad as us Campag lot. But it's all personal preference...
  • ddraver
    Well on this one thread it's 9 Campy vs 1 SRAM (and I suspect rozzer is fishing a little :wink: )....
    - @ddraver
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Interesting thread. I've just bought a bike with Campag Athena, after always using Shimano. Its definitely different, but I've only done about 300 miles on it so its too early to say if I prefer one over the other.

Observations so far are that the hoods are definitely a better fit for me and more comfortable (did 112 mile ride the other day and my hands were more comfy at the end of it for sure) and I prefer the thumb shifting. The actual shifting is quite clunky. Its very positive but I'm not sure if I prefer it to the more buttery feel of Shimano Ultegra / DA. I have found the ability to go up and down the casette in one big shift surprisingly useful on hilly and rolling terrian. I thought that would just be a novelty, but I suppose we always had that on the old downtube shifers!

So far the shifting has been more precise, but it's not done the mileage yet to see how that holds up. I still have Shimano DA on my other bike, and on my TT bike aswell, so will no doubt be reaching for the wrong lever for a while to come!