Best budget kit for sportives? 100-150 mile

Rich1966
Rich1966 Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to cycling and I'm signed up to do a few sportives and charity rides. They're around 100 miles to 150 miles.
I've recently got myself a specialized sectuer 2012 so bike wise im fine (last year I did the charity ride birmingham to southall(west london) on my old mountain bike so this bike will be a breeze . . . . well in comparison) I managed to finish the ride last year but was very difficult on a full susspension bike so I should be ok with the distance again but I wouldnt mind making it a little easier on myself if possible.

I was wondering on what is the best things to take with me in regards to in my bag and tyres/inertubes?
Basically any advice really arart from a new bike!!! ha ha
Oh and as the title says I'm on a bit of a budget for the kit so middle range gear really, I want it to be decent for what I'm doing but I'm not competing on any level, just along for the ride!!

Thanks alot

Rich

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    On long rides keep a flat kit at all times. I keep mine in a small saddle bag (Halfords do some neat quick releace ones) and some prefer to keep it in their jersy pockets, but it should incude: 1-2 inner tubes, Patch kit/instant patches, multitool, £10 cash, tyre boot, co2 inflater & refills.

Some prefer a pump over co2, but co2 gives you 120 psi so very quickly and is as light as a pump and cheaper than any small pump that can do 100psi+. The flip side is its a 1 shot per cartridge but its ment for emergancies only...

I dont need to use tyre levers with my combo, just the right mix of shouting and sore thumbs, but my wheel quick releace handles work perfectly if I need to - if yours are not sutible or you alwayse need levers then chuck in a pair of tyre levers too.

A couple of energy gells can be a life saver if you start to bonk. As for tyres there should be no need to cary them if you check them at the start, but both 4000, pro3comp and gaterskins give good performance for resonable cost when you need to replace/upgrade. Enjoy!

ps. Welcome to the forum!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Just done a 75 and can vouch for pro3s (michelin) - they were new on and were excellent, great ride comfort also

2x bottles (large) in cages, and try whatever before you use it - I generally find energy gels and drinks pretty unpalatable so prefer the likes of malt loaf, PB&J sarnies, etc. Proper hydrating drinks are worth it though - I use the Zero stuff which isn't too sickly and works a treat.

Oh - and bib shorts, proper shoes and eyewear.

All in, my kit including shoes etc was about £200 but you could do it cheaper

It's just a hill. Get over it.