What have I done!!! Charity Bike Ride Help

Oliver19
Oliver19 Posts: 97
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I am very new to road biking but have done a lot of MTB'ing and I am physically fit from many other sports that I also do at a high level.

I have been roped into doing my first Charity Bike Ride- Wolverhampton to Aberdovey on Friday 22nd June 2012. It is 105 miles in one day, I know it wont be easy but I am after lots of advice. There are several check points along the way with food etc.

What do I need to do to prepare for it?
What equipment is a must?
What should I carry with me?
What food should I take?

What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Oliver19 wrote:

What do I need to do to prepare for it? - ride your bike
    What equipment is a must? - a bike
    What should I carry with me? - multitool, tubes, tyre levers
    What food should I take? - hi-carb food that you like the taste of

What else do I need to know? - you're worrying too much.
  • Oliver19
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Oliver19 wrote:

What do I need to do to prepare for it? - ride your bike
    What equipment is a must? - a bike
    What should I carry with me? - multitool, tubes, tyre levers
    What food should I take? - hi-carb food that you like the taste of

What else do I need to know? - you're worrying too much.

Pseudonym, Thanks for the quick reply. Probably am worrying a little too much as I am not sure what the organisation of this event is like! I am hopefully collecting my bike tomorrow, a Trek 1.7. Once I have this it will be my main transport to work and around as I hope to reduce the miles in the car!

Any one got experience of this Wolverhampton to Aberdovey ride?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Prepare - ride slowly but steadily build up your miles
    Equipment - bike, helmet, puncture repair kit and possibly multi tool
    Carry - I use a small saddle bag that sits under the saddle and carries all my equipment - plus carry some food with me
    Food - all personal really, for me on 100 miles would be a couple of energy gels, malt loaf, banana, possibly a bagel & some replacement drinks powder as some of the check points might only carry water
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    You say you are new to road biking but have done quite a bit of MTB'ing. That would suggest that although you may have a good level of fitness you will not have done too many long rides. 105 miles is, by most people's standards, a long ride and you will need to build up to it. You have about 3 months to gradually increase your mileage upto around 85 miles. If you can do that, you will just get through the last 20. Build up slowly but do push yourself a little bit.

Use the training rides to find out what you like to eat and drink, don't experiment on the day! I use Lucozade powder to make up my drink and I can take a few packs in a back pocket for making up during a ride to replenish the bottles. June could be hot so you will need to drink plenty. Food can be in the form of energy bars or malt loaf or whatever, but use your time to find out what works for you.

Last thing I would say is, enjoy it.

Bob
  • Oliver19
    BobScarle wrote:
    You say you are new to road biking but have done quite a bit of MTB'ing. That would suggest that although you may have a good level of fitness you will not have done too many long rides. 105 miles is, by most people's standards, a long ride and you will need to build up to it. You have about 3 months to gradually increase your mileage upto around 85 miles. If you can do that, you will just get through the last 20. Build up slowly but do push yourself a little bit.

Use the training rides to find out what you like to eat and drink, don't experiment on the day! I use Lucozade powder to make up my drink and I can take a few packs in a back pocket for making up during a ride to replenish the bottles. June could be hot so you will need to drink plenty. Food can be in the form of energy bars or malt loaf or whatever, but use your time to find out what works for you.

Last thing I would say is, enjoy it.

Bob

Bob, very useful information there thank you. I haven't done many big rides especially on the road! I'm going to increase the milage now!

Would people suggest wearing a camel back rucksack as well to carry food and other goodies?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Oliver19 wrote:
    Would people suggest wearing a camel back rucksack as well to carry food and other goodies?

not if there are stops on the way - you don't want something like that on your back for 100m. Take one or two bottles and get them re-filled as needed..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can get a bento box that goes on your top tube - you can put flapjacks and things in there. A rucksack is a baaad idea. It'll press down on your back and you want to travel as light as possible.

105m should be easy if you just get the miles in and do a long ride every weekend.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    For food take stuff that you like to eat and mix up the sweet & savoury. A day on sugary sweets isn't the best way to do a long ride. Just because you're cycling you don't have to live on cycling food.

Make the most of the food stops too. No need to carry fluids all the way if they're available en route, and you'll probably pass a shop or two on the way. Money is lighter than food and easier to carry.

The other normal advice is to eat & drink regularly and not wait until you're hungry / thirsty before digging in. It goes against the grain a bit but you might find it more productive to stop and have a good snack rather than grazing from time to time.

And look into Nuun tablets (or similar). Drop one into your water bottle to replace salts & minerals, and to experience the genuine taste of bat's pee. Ok. They're not the nicest tasting additive but they beat lugging around a couple of litres of cycling drink.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Eat lots of decent carbs the night before, and porridge for breakfast.

As an alternative to Nuun tablets, try High 5 Zero tablets. They've got no carbs in them so not to sweet, but the various minerals you'll loose through sweat. They taste nice though, like very weak squash.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    +1 for the Zero tablets, I did five days riding in France last year and two tubes saw me through very nicely.

Also carry a large-ish handful of jellybeans/ jelly babies/ Haribo in your back pocket, in the case of a bonk they'll come in very handy.

p.s. Best of luck for the ride
  • Oliver19
    Thanks for all the comments. I picked up my Trek 1.7 today, brought second hand as im new to road cycling and wanted a well spec'd bike but without spending an arm and a leg!

Straight out on the bike after fitting some flats and toe cages as I didnt have clippy shoes for the pedals that came supplied.

I did 25 miles around local country side also dropping into Ironbridge and Coalport too! Had such a great time and really got the buzz! If anyone knows Ironbridge they will know theres some pretty evil hills there too which I had to tackle! Very happy with an average speed of 18mph and fastest been 41mph.

Bring on more riding :)