Dented ring... (fnarr)

jamesyp21
jamesyp21 Posts: 36
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Right, so the big ring on my front gears has a dent in it. I was cycling to work when the chain came off, and after a bit of looking, it would always come off in the same part of the gear.

I came into work on the little ring only today (which meant I got destroyed in SCR) and as I looked down, I realised that the gear was not true, and every rotation had a little kink in it.

Is this something I could fix myself, simply with some pliers and a hammer to get it straight, take it to a professional, or will I need to buy a new ring? It has done nearly 1500 miles, so I'm not loathed to replace it, but obviously I would rather just repair it.

Thanks!

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yes you can fix it yourself however guess the results will be reflected by how bad the damage is in the first place and your metal work skills.

i damage mine on a MTB a few years ago and too be honest am not the best at DIY so gave it to my brother who's job involves metal working and was fixed in no time at all.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jamesyp21
    I gave it a go with a hammer a brute force, and I think it worked!
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I hope you took proper safety precautions when you were beating your ring. :shock:
  • jamesyp21
    Of course I did. I'm no floozy.