are carbon seat posts a worry?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm trying to shave some weight from the Moment, new tyres are on the way and I'm hoping to loose some from the bars and post. Easton seem to have done a decent job convincing people that carbon can handle the abuse at the bars, but how about in the seat tube? I'm tempting an Exotic carbon post and cro-mo rails but I'm worried about my testicles... Should I be?

Comments

• I think some of the exotic stuff does have a weight limit, worth checking the website...

But, I had an easton monkeylight carbon seatpost and bars with no issues at all... I'm 101kg!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm light (67kg) and I've had 2 exotic carbon seatposts. One on my Boardman MTB, one on my (also a Boardman) commuter. I've got nothing to say about them really. It's a seatpost, it hasn't snapped, it holds my saddle.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I had an Easton EC90 and it snapped... It was on my Yeti ARC Titanium and I sat down as the rear end was coming up over a bump... Personally I'd never buy a carbon post again unless it was on a road bike but they may have improved since then and this was around 2006...
  • bluechair84
    I'm pretty light at 66kgs but I ride quite hard - am regularly slamming through boulder fields and finding myself in a ditch for my efforts... I have bent an alu seatpost recently (Tioga admitedly), though I was wondering if those videos we've seen of hammers vs alu and carbon frames goes for components too.
    I might risk it...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If the component it fit for purpose it shouldn't matter what its made out of. The Exotic post is a XC post so if you're likely give it a battering prob best to try another one. one designed to take more of a beating. I think Easton's top of range carbon stuff is supposed to be stronger than any of their other products.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No problems with my exotic post. Seen far many more snapped aluminium posts in my time.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I've had an Easton CT2 carbon riser and seat post for as many years as they have been out. (10+)
    In that time they've been in a very rigid Zaskar and a FS SC superlight.
    I weigh over 100KG and have never held back on my riding, although it is mainly XC based.

They have both been relegated to the commuting bike (Zaskar with associated bits) now as the newer bikes have different needs, but I wouldn't think twice about using them again.
  • bluechair84
    Alrighty then. Sounds like I should be ok. The Moment is relegated to XC duties now and I'll still have the Koryak for any trails where I might be bouncing around a lot more so it could be alright then. I'll likely order an Exotic tonight, inching my way into the sub 30lbs band.