Adding links to a Campag 10 speed chain

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited March 2012 in Workshop
The Campy chain I`m using is currently 2 links shorter than ideal (transferred from another bike); from what I`ve heard adding extra links by rivetting works, but chain then falls apart later :(

So could I use another superlink adding in extra links eg remove say 8 links and add back in 10 from another (similar use rotated chain) with another superlink to make joins ? Already have a KMC superlink and neevr had any issues so would think OK. But any thoughst graetly appreciated

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Hi, I'm not sure why you'd want to take 8 out then put back 10, you should just be able to add as many extra as you need, unless I'm misunderstanding you... but anyway, I've done this with SRAM chains with no problem - just put in 2 powerlinks with at least one standard outer link holding 2 inner links as the inner links will come apart if not held by an outer link. The powerlink / quicklinks should be as strong as any other link so shouldn't be a problem - I've never broken one in well over 10 years using them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Rivets work and the chain doesn't fall apart... obviously manufacturers are worried about liability, but really, I have been riveting chains for 30 years and never had a problem... every time they narrowed the chain, they came up with the same scaremongers advice...
    left the forum March 2023
  • JamesB
    just put in 2 powerlinks with at least one standard outer link holding 2 inner links

OK good to hear of someone doing this in practise; was wondering though about having powerlinks too close together affecting chain smoothness etc but your answer covesr this just fine; ta :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many modern, narrow chains are secured by swaging the pins - if you drive the pin out you leave a bigger hole in the side plate - it you attempt to rejoin the chain then there is a major weakness in the chain. Use two quick-links, it will be stronger and more secure. Ignore this advise and be assured of taking a phone or money for a taxi to get you home.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Many modern, narrow chains are secured by swaging the pins - if you drive the pin out you leave a bigger hole in the side plate - it you attempt to rejoin the chain then there is a major weakness in the chain. Use two quick-links, it will be stronger and more secure. Ignore this advise and be assured of taking a phone or money for a taxi to get you home.

I've done it many times on Campy and Shimano 10... must be a problem of the most recent 11 speed...
    left the forum March 2023
  • JamesB
    Use two quick-links, it will be stronger and more secure. Ignore this advise and be assured of taking a phone or money for a taxi to get you home.

Thanks, will do ! :) it was my LBS, who are very competent , who alerted me to risks of rivetting 10 speed. Apparently works OK for a bit but then fails; having seen 2 mishaps with riders breaking chains, in both cases going headfirst over bars, it may not be a taxi but an ambulance :(:(