I'm leaving the commuting game :(

Yukirin
Yukirin Posts: 231
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
The 'r' word is upon me but I have a new job lined up! The downside of said job is that it would actually take me longer to cycle there than to walk. There are many, many plus sides to the new job though!
So cycling is to become a hobby, not a means to get to work twice as fast as the train. I'm still going to aim to keep my weekly miles up to what I have been doing so no doubt I may cross paths with some of you again. Maybe I'll join the k.wheelers or something...
So, potentially my last week of scr! (at longest I'll have 2 weeks) so lets see if I can come across a big scalp to claim!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    congrats on getting a new job! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    Good luck with the new job. Hope it works out well.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Good luck Sir!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,751
    Who says cycling has to be via the shortest route? Why not a loop before work, and a loop after. Or do you want to get settled in before you really nail your bike nut colours to the mast?

Good luck with the new job too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Longer to cycle than walk? No chance, it takes quite a while to walk twice around Richmond Park and then to work ;)
    Good luck
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    rjsterry wrote:
    Who says cycling has to be via the shortest route? Why not a loop before work, and a loop after. Or do you want to get settled in before you really nail your bike nut colours to the mast?

Good luck with the new job too.
    I'm excited about having the freedom to ride because I want to, not because I have to. No doubt there will be glorious frosty mornings when I just have to loop the park before work, but I wont *have* to cycle through the downpours, I wont *have* to face that gale force wind. This is what will no longer make me, in my definition of the word atleast, a commuter.
    Just dont make me start posting in the cake stop, ok?

And thanks for the good lucks! I know I'm very lucky to have found a job so quick. I feel for those who wont be so fortunate! I expect there will be quite a few other the next couple of weeks!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    My direct route to and from work is about 13 miles each way, but I regularly do 20.

Are cycles the only form of transport where people go out of their way to take a longer route?