On-One & Tyres

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone confirm if On-One are good at getting their adverts right for tyres?

About to buy 2x tyres that if listed correctly should save me about 200g per wheel over my minions.

They're 2.5 Kenda Nevegal's - weight listed as approx 970g.

Looking on the Kenda website, this means they could either be wired or folding and single ply - i'm not too bothered as long as the weight is about right.

They're only £12 each so I'm about to take a punt on em, but figured I'd ask too.

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I don't know... but if you do get them could you let me know which ones they are, was looking at them earlier, they still have a few in stock so am quite tempted.
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    I love On One and I'm sorry to say it, but I've had trouble with their listings of Nobby Nics... got a UST when I ordered non-UST, then ordered one that they claimed was an Allgrounder/2010 model (confirmed by telephone!) but wasn't. They revised their listing to remove the Allgrounder bit when I complained, but haven't removed the allgrounder-specific marketing blurb about it being lighter and rolling faster.

You can try calling them to confirm what you're getting, but as I say that still didn't do me any good! Still, at their prices, probably worth a punt.
  • well I've bought em and will report back. If they're neither of the 2 tyres on the Kenda website that are around that weight then they'll be going back.
    Will let you know.

Need something quick and cheap as I don't want to ride my ST minions round the lakes lol!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    they will be thin as paper... thinner than paper, paper thin is very, very generous... the 2.5's are huge, absolutely huge, so to have them at that weight i would guess means they are of the thinner than paper sidewall type, in which case if you're in the lakes, pack either alot of tubes and probably a spare tyre too.
  • lol! I've got DH tubes so should be fine... always run 2.35 single ply ignitors in the lakes so should be fine.

Just need to drop some weight as I'll be doing XC round Whinlatter on the Canyon seeing as though someone nicked my XC bike lol.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Looks like I'm too late, as you've already ordered them but....

The description when I ordered from On One was "folding bead", but when it arrived it was a wire bead.

Sent it back for a return, no problems just some wasted time. Ended up getting a 2.5" folding Stick E from Stif for £31 odd.
  • doesnt say folding on the ad now... guessing they're the stick-e freeride then as I was expecting which is fine for me. Just hope they aren't the heavy ones.

Don't suppose you manage to weigh them or take the part number from the side?
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    I didn't weigh it but it felt about a kilo, the folding that I've got now is 950g odd and it felt pretty much the same weight as that.

They definitely weren't the dual-ply DH versions though - think they're about 1.4Kg.

Sorry, didn't look at the part no. either.
  • Sounds about right then, cheers mate.
    They should do me nicely, not as draggy as my ST minions and a 400g rolling weigh loss will be nice! haha!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Let us know anyway, was looking at a pair as well. Cheap enough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Shall do, pics will follow!
    Just hope On-One are on the ball. I really need em before Friday!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I ended up taking my Shwalbe NN Evo back as were way over the advertised weight. OnOnes ads are iusually pretty bad for info and right details.
  • Yeah I thought it was you that had issues but I couldn't remember lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They normally post pretty quickly though. Just a bit random with the words.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Can anyone confirm if On-One are good at getting their adverts right for tyres?

About to buy 2x tyres that if listed correctly should save me about 200g per wheel over my minions.

They're 2.5 Kenda Nevegal's - weight listed as approx 970g.

Looking on the Kenda website, this means they could either be wired or folding and single ply - i'm not too bothered as long as the weight is about right.

They're only £12 each so I'm about to take a punt on em, but figured I'd ask too.

The nobby nics that I ordered on sunday arrived today. Bought them cuz they were the 2009 triple nano model so I knew they would fit my crest rims. When the package arrived today they were the new 2011 pacestar tubeless ready 1's. Iv read loads of people have had problem mounting on stans rims cuz of the new tubeless style are smaller inside diameter. Luckily I have managed to get both of them on. Front was a pain though.

So expect something different from what you ordered to be in the package. Oh and they are Cube branded aswell, didn't say that in the description. But I'm not complaining as I got 2 tyres for the price of 1 basically.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • ok, they turned up today.
    Seem to have been sat around for a bit as they're quite grubby, but the tread is un ridden.

Notes:
    They weigh just under 1kg each as advertised.
    They are definitely the stick-e tyres
    They are OEM tyres with the 30tpi rating instead of 60tpi. (A quick read suggests this means they are a smaller volume tyre but with coarser threads, hence the weight... But I was expecting the weight anyway)

All in all...
    Tyres as described.
    Delivered in a day.

Happy :D
  • lol, just realised that one tyre is 60tpi and the other is 30tpi!

60 is lighter, so that will go up front lol!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Both stick-e?

Just keep your eye on the rear it will wear real fast mate :)
  • yup, both stick-e... just one is OEM.

Ahh not bothered if they wear, I only need them for 1 ride tbh haha!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Folders or wire?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.