Choosing and using the right lubricants and liquids

Tactica
Tactica Posts: 70
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to start building my first MTB tomorrow and I have few questions about lubricants, greases and anti-seizes.

My kit is quite expensive and I don't want to take shortcuts when assembling the bike so I'm looking for some clarificating comments on the liquids needed and used.

I have bought Shimanos Anti-seize and Pedros Chainj lube from my LBS http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27624 and http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19624 repectivly and I'm not sure are those two enough to cover the whole assembly. I am going to use Anti-seize on stem bolts, derailleur bolt, seatpost bolt and bottom bracket and the Chainj for the chain but should I have some kind of grease as well? For hubs and axels?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What parts are you putting together? Hubs should not need greased until first service.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the info on Parktools they show and list what is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tactica
    Tactica Posts: 70
    What parts are you putting together? Hubs should not need greased until first service.
    The whole bike. Nothing too fancy build wise, just bolting stuff together. All parts are new and my hubs are pre assembled to the wheels. I was mainly worried about thruaxles or QR's. Shoul I grease them or can I use the anti-seize on them and the headset stack?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Some anti seize on thru axles maybe would help but QR no i have never greased a QR skewer before and see no need.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Some anti seize on thru axles maybe would help but QR no i have never greased a QR skewer before and see no need.

Personally I'd put grease on the QR, only because water can get lodged inside the axle, and grease certainly doesn't hurt.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Defo put a smear of grease on the QR 'axel', they do surface rust as water seems to settle in the actual axel.

As for the headset stack and steerer - again a little grease can stop rusting and seizing, just make sure the ahead stem clamp does not have any on as you need that to 'grip'