rare 2001 Giant TCR Aero TT build

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited July 2017 in Your road bikes
this is a rare giant tcr aero bike.
budget was pretty low so had to get the aksium wheels. would have wanted something lighter and deeper

Frame:Giant TCR aero
Forks:Giant composite
Bars:PRO-LITE basebar, outland extensions
Stem:Cinelli ANT
Headset:PZ Racing integrated
Bar Tape:PRO-LITE yellow
Front Brake Lever:Tektro
Front Caliper:Ultegra
Rear Brake Lever:Tektro
Rear Caliper:Ultegra
Shifters:unbranded
Cables:Black Snake
Front Mech:shimano 105
Rear Mech:ultegra
Seat:Selle Italia slr xp
Seat Post:mike burrows carbon aero
Seat Post Clamp:integrated
Cranks:ultegra 172.5
Chainring(s):ultegra
Chain:kmc 10speed
Cassette:105 10 speed
Pedals:shimano clips
Bottom Bracket:ultegra
Front Wheel:2012 mavic aksium
Tire: mavic aksion(michellin pro3 for racing)
Back Wheel:2012 mavic aksium
Tire:mavic aksion(michellin pro3 for racing)
Weight:

038.jpg
039.jpg
040.jpg
041.jpg
042.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg
045.jpg
047.jpg
048.jpg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Excellent work.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Great looking bike.
    Love to own one
  • Nice build jay.

I was wondering could you tell me a little more about the frame ? I have been researching it the last few weeks and have now heard a couple of people refer to it as "rare" is this simply an age thing and not many left around or was it a limited number to start with.

I ask as I am just getting back into road biking and had purchased a bike on ebay for £210 which turned out to be this frame and still with its what I presume is based on year is its original almost pristine condition campy daytona gear.

I like the bike but if its something I can turn a quick buck on and buy something else of similar standard for half what I can make then I may as well before I start on the new wheels, getting the original Mike Burrows seatpost this would have had etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76558001@N08/6867475954/
  • jay12
    honestly, i'm not too sure. i saw it on ebay going for cheap so i went for it. it's an old frame, more than 10 years now. i think it's some kind of team replica or a limited run. i'm not sure how much you could make on it. not many people know about it and it's not old enough to be vintage
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Frame is probably worth 80-100 quid. Not bad for a 10 year old mass produced aluminium one!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Rare and Giant???? Bit like having a rare Casio watch or a rare Nokia mobile phone. :lol:
  • Aye its a odd one so much conflicting info on it out there and pics of it are few and far between hence me stating rare.

looking at the ONCE replicas of that time then they are all in the primary yellow or black and yellow, this is a odd one as with the red flashes would make you think of the period of ONCE-Eroski but the only actual replica with this frame shape I can find of that era was the full composite TT.

It definitely has something to do with ONCE as it has the team logo on the frame I'm just not sure what.

Just about finished my own build up based around the frame although as a standard road rather than a Tri/TT.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice cranks...
  • jay12
    Aye its a odd one so much conflicting info on it out there and pics of it are few and far between hence me stating rare.

looking at the ONCE replicas of that time then they are all in the primary yellow or black and yellow, this is a odd one as with the red flashes would make you think of the period of ONCE-Eroski but the only actual replica with this frame shape I can find of that era was the full composite TT.

It definitely has something to do with ONCE as it has the team logo on the frame I'm just not sure what.

Just about finished my own build up based around the frame although as a standard road rather than a Tri/TT.
    i remeber reading something about this frame having something to do with team once. just can't recall what it was.

yeah, thats the good thing, you can either run it as a TT bike or a standard road as the angles aren't as extreme as most TT frames
  • Nice. I have an original one. I bought it in Spain