Dura Ace front wheel - something in hub

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi

I have had a pair of Dura Ace wheels for around 1.5 years. Since I purchased them, the front one has always made this funny clicking noise (like something is slotting into/out of place)

I have done lots of investigation, and it is basically on the side directly opposite the valve cap, and it sounds like something is moving within a 5cm slot. When the wheel is spun, whatever it is seems to click from one end of the "slot" to the other. its rather loud and makes my expensive wheels sound very cheap!

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    you don't mention which model, they vary a lot in construction, go to the dura ace section on http://techdocs.shimano.com and you'll find the ev files (exploded view) for the various models

generically...

in the hub, or in the rim?

if it's the rim, it might be a stray piece of swarf from the drilling, or a broken nipple - remove the rim strip, you may be able to get it out through the hole

if it is in the hub, strip it down and remove whatever it is
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    sounds like something in the rim to me. As suggested, you sometimes get rogue lumps of aluminium floating about in the rim void. It's annoying and you can sometimes fish them out.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • JimboPlob
    Its defiantly in the rim, but seems to only within a certain compartment. If I rip the rim tape off, is it easy to re-fit some more?

I have tried shaking it round the the valve area, but like i say, it seems to be stuck within a certain area.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    yes rim tape is just tape, can't really go wrong. If the rim has double eyelets then the random bit of metal might effectively be sealed in unless you can get it out through the valve hole drillings.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I think you will find it's an added balancing weight. And it is loose and now rattles. Mate had a different set of shimano wheels that did this and ended up getting it replaced under warranty.
  • JimboPlob
    bobgfish wrote:
    I think you will find it's an added balancing weight. And it is loose and now rattles. Mate had a different set of shimano wheels that did this and ended up getting it replaced under warranty.

How long does a Shimano warranty last for?

Thanks
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Sorry I have no idea. Contact where you brought them and they should be able to advise.
  • Dura ace warrenty is three years.