bull bars and shifters

p7rider
p7rider Posts: 370
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
hi probably a stupid question can i use my 105 sti combo with a set of bullbars?

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    depends wot you mean by bull bars
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Yes. You may find shifting a bit awkward. It wont be ideal ergonomically.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Why would you want to? 105 would only have come on a drop bar bike and if you have a flat bar bike its not the right type of groupset?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    RPD Steve wrote:
    Why would you want to? 105 would only have come on a drop bar bike and if you have a flat bar bike its not the right type of groupset?

are you serious ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Depends. If they're 5600 with external gears then yes, you can make it work. If it's 5700 then I'm pretty sure you can't, unless you mount them backwards.

Here's my commuter:

tripster.jpg

The brake cables are a bit of a pain as they have to do quite a tight turn within the bars.

I find it ideal for commuting. You get a similar hand position to what you would on the drops, but a more ergonomic position for applying the brakes.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    with cake stop being modded by the righteous, this forum has gone to the dogs....
  • MattC59
    JGSI wrote:
    with cake stop being modded by the righteous, this forum has gone to the dogs....

What's happened now, what have I missed ?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    that pic was just the last straw for me.. feel like emigrating to veloriders and having me arse prodded by a pitchfork
  • MattC59
    ^^ Good point !

OP, are you putting together a commuting bike ? You may have better responses posting this in the commuting section of the forum.
  • p7rider
    p7rider Posts: 370
    pdw wrote:
    Depends. If they're 5600 with external gears then yes, you can make it work. If it's 5700 then I'm pretty sure you can't, unless you mount them backwards.

Here's my commuter:

tripster.jpg

The brake cables are a bit of a pain as they have to do quite a tight turn within the bars.

I find it ideal for commuting. You get a similar hand position to what you would on the drops, but a more ergonomic position for applying the brakes.

they are the early ones 5500or 5600 so may be ok
  • Usual response from the bike snobs out there. Doing us no favors trying to dispel the common held opinion that we are a 'clique' bunch. I fully embrace the 'Graham Obree' type spirit of using what you have, modifying it as needed to get what suits you. Not what the convention or the snobs say you should have. If you have bull bars and 105 and want to use it, why the hell not? Yes it may not be ideal, but so what. Many of the pro-ranks even as recent as 5 years ago often used standard STI's on aero bars, before the whole 'marginal gains' type bike manufacturing took over, and we moved into the era of £6-15k Bikes. That was fine then because the 'Pros' where doing it, but god forbid, role on 5 years that your 'average Joe' cyclist may want to do the same 5 years on.
  • snickwell
    snickwell Posts: 72
    Usual response from the bike snobs out there. Doing us no favors trying to dispel the common held opinion that we are a 'clique' bunch. I fully embrace the 'Graham Obree' type spirit of using what you have, modifying it as needed to get what suits you. Not what the convention or the snobs say you should have. If you have bull bars and 105 and want to use it, why the hell not? Yes it may not be ideal, but so what. Many of the pro-ranks even as recent as 5 years ago often used standard STI's on aero bars, before the whole 'marginal gains' type bike manufacturing took over, and we moved into the era of £6-15k Bikes. That was fine then because the 'Pros' where doing it, but god forbid, role on 5 years that your 'average Joe' cyclist may want to do the same 5 years on.

Usually I'd agree with you, but your definition of marginal gains is way off... Moving away from STIs on a TT bike is not a marginal gain, its actually a fairly massive improvement. Blocking up the vents on a Kask helmet to give you 4 extra watts (incidently, giving you enough speed to win the World Champs) is marginal...