Plastic tasting hydration pack

Sikora
Sikora Posts: 519
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Anyone have any tips for removing the plastic taste my Dakine Session hydration pack keeps giving me?

This is my third Hydrapak bladder over the years and never had this problem before. It's been used for a few rides now and the taste is still there

Comments

• chris.d.w
    chris.d.w Posts: 43
    Keep using it!

The mould will eventually overcome the plastickyness. :p
  • Stick a hydration tablet in to mask the taste.
    (and make sure you clean it properly afterwards.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fill it with beer, whisky etc. After a while you won't notice the taste.

Or anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wash it out with a solution of Sodium Bicarb. A tablespoon per litre of warm water leave it for a couple of hours and rinse well.

Or use cooldads tip it works for him, it will also make you awesome, more attractive to women and crash proof.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You got that right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1. Perhaps you might ask your butler to polish the glasses harder trailside or simply get on with it? 2. Ride faster or harder so that such feminine touches are no longer an issue or 3. Give us a clue as to why the water from your third bladder (do these one really wear out so soon?) tastes so different from the previous two.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    First time i filled mine with vodka for festival season changed it for ever! Never had a taste issue with it after that first weekend :-) Mate tried it with his new bladder and left a litre of vodka in it over the weekend, rinse it out properly and its good to go :-)
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • Sikora
    1. Perhaps you might ask your butler to polish the glasses harder trailside or simply get on with it? 2. Ride faster or harder so that such feminine touches are no longer an issue or 3. Give us a clue as to why the water from your third bladder (do these one really wear out so soon?) tastes so different from the previous two.

check you out

Its my third hydration pack in about 6 years. The whole bag, not just the bladder.

I cant give you a clue why it's making the water taste funny - that's why I've asked on here if anyone has any tips on removing the taste from the bladder :roll:
    stubs wrote:
    Wash it out with a solution of Sodium Bicarb. A tablespoon per litre of warm water leave it for a couple of hours and rinse well.

Thanks. I'll give it ago. If it doesn't work i'll try the vodka :lol:
  • A weak solution of squash in mine keeps it always tasting yummy.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can also use baby bottle sterilising tablets, Chempro or Youngs Sterilising Solution (from Wilkos)
  • Try denture cleaning tablets ..............I nicked the wife's :lol::lol::lol:
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • Sikora
    Try denture cleaning tablets ..............I nicked the wife's :lol::lol::lol:

I've just got some of these off my Nan to try (Tablets, not her false teeth :wink: ) I've given the bladder a good scrub, filled with hot water and popped 2 tablets in. Worth a try before I go out and buy some Bicarbonate of soda (or vodka :lol: )