Tell Everyone What Fettling You're Just About To Do

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I have a creak on the carbon ribble, need I say more :evil:

I'll be in the garage if anyone wants me - there will be swearing and the occasional item thrown across the room :x
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nothing ricochets quite like a well slung wrench.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm about to clean the bike!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,951
    6a00d8341c890753ef015392f0f339970b-pi
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    gonna put the brompton out on the stand in the sun for its first every strip and clean, suspect I'll fail miserably and not get it back together!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Cleaned the hardtail. And intended to clean the roadie but ran out of time before the grand prix came on. Yes, that's how dirty the MTB was.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm going to charge the Di2 battery 8) :D

I'm a bit worried because it's down to half charge - just off to work out how many hours/miles that first charge (or half of it) lasted. :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    And the answer is 550 miles or 33hours
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    yes fettling complete results yet to be determined however i did also change the ice spiker tyres off the CX pump both the wifes and daughters bikes up.

Also moved my saddle more fore than aft measured move aft, measured again more fore ...measure/fore/aft measure/fore/aft measure/fore/aft measure/fore/aft measure/fore/aft

grrrrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!

and relax
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Move seatpost and saddle from road bike to SS. Moved Carradice bag thingy from roadie to London bike.

Just need to clean the SS. Hmm.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Well...more of a contemplation than actually about to do.
    I replaced the BB on my commuter (must update the fettling thread) and decided to put my triple set on and the proper triple front FD (rather than abusing the relatively new double). Couldn't get the DR to work properly. The inner part of the cage was fouling the middle ring even when I had the DR high in the slot. So I put the double back on.
    So I'm wondering what to do next. I think the problem might be that the DR is not getting the chance to do its final lift at the extreme of the shift because the rings are too far inboard. At some point I'll have another go and put a sprocket spacer in the BB to shift it outwards.
    At some point. No rush eh ?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Twostage wrote:
    I replaced the BB on my commuter (must update the fettling thread) and decided to put my triple set on and the proper triple front FD (rather than abusing the relatively new double). Couldn't get the DR to work properly. The inner part of the cage was fouling the middle ring even when I had the DR high in the slot. So I put the double back on.
    So I'm wondering what to do next. I think the problem might be that the DR is not getting the chance to do its final lift at the extreme of the shift because the rings are too far inboard. At some point I'll have another go and put a sprocket spacer in the BB to shift it outwards.

Obvious question, but you are using triple STIs?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Who knows what fettling I'll be about to do? I don't prat around planning these things, I just get out there and fettle. Like a man! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I'm going to put the hand builts on the retro raleigh elan project from last summer as I have just discovered the vittoria 28mm tyres can be made to fit :lol:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Having drilled through the front of the fork crown on the Pompetamine, I now need to pick up an M4 bolt that is long enough to fit front light mount, spacer to clear headset, mudguard bracket & nut; box of assorted fixings having come up short. Wiring the lights to the dynamo will then complete commuting guise.
  • So lazy on Sunday, that I had to do some fettling in the garage at 6 this morning, before I came into work.
    What I thought was a 5 minute job, turned into a full brake bleed and refill. And to top it off, my new cycling top is now stained in hydraulic fluid.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why are people posting "fettling they have done" in "fettling you are just about to do"? Do people not understand the concept of time anymore? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    And to top it off, my new cycling top is now stained in hydraulic fluid.

You need to get some Rapha fettling garb, you do.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I will be taking the chain off my bike and giving it a loving clean
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Paul E wrote:
    I will be taking the chain off my bike and giving it a loving clean
    As will I....maybe.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:

Obvious question, but you are using triple STIs?
    Yes they are (4400 compatible with 2 and 3 rings).
    But... and I think it might be a big but...
    The chainrings are 52/42/30 and the DR I bought is a 4503 (couldn't find a 4403 anywhere). I checked the tech docs last night and it needs a minimum tooth difference of 11 between the big and middle ring and maximum of 20 overall. So according to spec I'd need a 50/39/30 chainset :evil:
    Going to check on the workshop to see if anyone thinks its worth pursuing.
  • itboffin
    Swap my worn out front wheel
  • itboffin
    replace front wheel on the old 531 steel, silver and less spokes
    install an as of yet not purchased WI freewheel
    replace seatpost on 531 steel because the colour is just WRONG oh and so is the brand
    find a saddle that doesn't feel like a kick in the balls every time I ride

find a way to lose 2lbs from the 531 steel, cut off the seat tube perhaps?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    itboffin wrote:
    replace seatpost on 531 steel because the colour is just WRONG oh and so is the brand

Less pies?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    Sketchley wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Less pies?

Alas for all it's skillZ the 'bike' doesnt eat pie ^ :P