Fast rolling big tyres

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I want a set of summer tyres for my Reign. I'm quite large & ride pretty hard so need at least a 2.2" tyre to avoid pinch flats. I'm running quite heavy (but mega strong) Wheels (EX721) so want to save a bit of weight on the tyres.
I was thinking maybe Conti Rubber Queens.
Any other suggestions? Nothing too expensive

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    You could try Intense System 5's. They come in a 2.25 which comes up a quite large, and I love them. I'm surprised they aren't more popular TBH.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Kenda Small Block 8s..... awesome IMHO for the summer.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I use a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.25 Crossmark on the rear of my Wolf Ridge and really like it as an all round setup. Ardent is by no means the lightest but is reasonably fast and grippy. The Crossmark is very fast and again grips quite well. Never managed to pinch the crossmark even when on my hardtail but then I don't use them often for downhill trails. Wouldn't recommend the crossmark for really rocky terrain though, the sidewalls aren't the toughest (still tough enough though) and for some reason Maxxis only offer the Exo in 2.1. I mainly got the crossmark for the same reason as you, using heavy wheels as I can't use lighter wheels, they just die.

2.4 Advantage is another reasonably fast but grippy option for the front. I have one as well but I use the Ardent mostly. Advantage is better on loose rocky terrain but the Ardent makes the better all rounder and grips better for me on hardpacked trails etc. due to being slightly more aggressive. I can't really decide which rolls faster, sometimes I think it's the ardent, other times I think it's the Advantage so I'm going to say it's the Ardent since it's what I use the most.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I use nobby nic 2.25 evo's great grip and light i weighed mine at 520 grams , i use them on llandegla black etc in all weathers and they are holding up pretty well so far.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • +1 for Nobby Nics - 2.25 - these roll as fast as any I have tried, including rocket rons/high rollers and a few assorted others. I've just ordered another pair from on one - discounted to £22 at the minute..
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    peter413 wrote:
    I use a 2.4 Ardent on the front and a 2.25 Crossmark <factual post ruthelessly snipped>
    ^^ this

Can't go wrong with the Ardrent/CrossMark combo or as said swap the Ardent for a (slower) Advantage if there's a lot of rubble.