Scott Scale 40 Cracked Frame

dnapoole
dnapoole Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I purchased a Scale 40 in 2007 and I recently noticed two cracks in the head seat tube on the frame. One from the top and one from the bottom. The crack in the top is about 20mm long and the bottom about 5mm. The bike has never been mistreated and still looks like brand new. Has anyone heard of a Scale 40 frame cracking like this?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've heard of just about every frame cracking ;-). Occasionly it does happen - though I guess you are outside any warranty period.

Still, I'd email Scott UK to see what they say.
  • The crack in my Scale 40 is at the upper joint of the top tube, seat tube and seat stays. Sorry it's in a different place, just realized it today. Also would be interested in what Scott, UK has to say. I'm going to have to deal with a dealer in Thailand . . . we'll see.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I had a lifetime warranty on my scott, worth checking
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    A direct quote off the Scott website:
    Doing so SCOTT warrants its frames and swingarms for five years (subject to compliance with maintenance ranges, see below) and SCOTT forks (provided it is a fork of SCOTT) for two years for defects in material and/or workmanship in case of purchase of completely assembled bikes.

This warranty of 5 years for the frames shall only be granted in case once a year a maintenance service has been effected according to maintenance requirements as set forth in the manual.

The effected annual maintenance service shall be confirmed by stamp and signature.

In case such an annual maintenance service has not been effected the warranty of 5 years for the frame shall be reduced to 3 years