single speed on Cove Stiffee.......

brutaldeluxe09
brutaldeluxe09 Posts: 96
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
just sat here thinking that I've got a Cove Stiffee in the garage being unused with no groupset as I have stripped it of the X9 I had been using which I knackered the derailler on a DH run.

I'd like to eventually go 10 speed but I have no cash for a few months, however I do have a single speed kit and an e13 lg1 and with this being my only ride capable of anything near serious does anybody know whether it is possible to use what I already have and get my Cove setup single speed?

I have a single speed conversion kit with either a 14t,15t or 16t for the rear and a 36t or 34t option up front with the e13 lg1

Does anybody have experiance with single speed? Do I need anything else? What problems will I experiance?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked at the topic in the as above. It lists everything you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I run 36/16 on my jump bike, but only use it for going down/flat and jumps, no tensioner as the chain is pretty tight, its fine for the jumps etc but no way of getting up any hills as the gearing is too hard.

Try different combos to get the one that suits your riding.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I run a 32 18 on my SS. That gets me round whinlatter with a bit of effort!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    It will be terrible, so I suggest you just give the frame to me now and forget you ever had the idea.

It is a 17.5 isnt it :)
  • Thanks, pretty confident with the technical stuff to get it rigged. Does anybody have any experiance of light downhill riding with the occassional uplift using a hardtail single speed setup?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Not DH as such but I waz my jump bike down anything and it copes really well with it, I just run lower pressure in the tyres to compensate, also being single speed no worrys about what gear to be in etc.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2