Cycle crash damage question

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited March 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I have a question as have today cycled down a hill at a speed of over 40mph (somehow). :shock:

What would the extensiveness of the damage be or death, if I fell off of my bike at 40mph on a road :?:

I just want to know for common knowledge.

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Why not do it again, fall off, and report back? Make sure you wear a camera or get a mate to film it though.

I reckon it would hurt a tad.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    What would be the extensiveness of death?! Total death - I don't think you can achieve say, 70% death.

If this is a serious question - it depends what you hit - you could land in soft mud with a splosh and just be bruised and dirty, you could go head first into a tree and break your neck - you'd probably be somewhere between the two.

But I agree with Monkey - this hasn't been investigated fully, so please re-test and report back.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    To put things into perspective I lost my best mate at no more than 32 MPH and he was wearing full leathers and a proper helmet.

If you slide down the road its gonna hurt. If you hit something on the side of the road it may not