Frame protection/cable rub

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
What do you use? My old frame lost quite a lot of paint from cable rub and I don't really want that happening on the new one. Chainstay protection too: is it worth it?

Ta!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes. Frame Lizards, chainstay protection, the full shamoncka. Do it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Helicopter tape from eBay.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Jagwire tube tops, wrap around the cable and do a great job.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If anybody has any ideas on how to stop the other f***rs at work scratching my lovely top tube when they throw their crappy old flat barred, metal ended cos they can't be arsed to fit their grips properly, bike shaped objects into the cycle rack I'd be most grateful...

I've thinking a video camera and death wish style retribution...
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    prj45 wrote:
    If anybody has any ideas on how to stop the other f***rs at work scratching my lovely top tube when they throw their crappy old flat barred, metal ended cos they can't be arsed to fit their grips properly, bike shaped objects into the cycle rack I'd be most grateful...

I've thinking a video camera and death wish style retribution...

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/26085265 ... adtype=pla

:P
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    DesWeller wrote:
    Helicopter tape from eBay.

+1. I also bought some frame wrap tape for on the chainstay. Looks a bit crap, but it's better than the manky neoprene one I've got on my MTB that absorbs all the lube.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    cjcp wrote:
    Yes. Frame Lizards, chainstay protection, the full shamoncka. Do it.

+1 the clear ones

these suckers
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I wrap downtube top tube and drive side chainstay in helicopter tape from this dude http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/ although i have bought through ebay.

He even does matte tape if your frame is matte finish and its virtually invisible.

and +1 for cable surrounds for your head tube- tis neater than lizard skin stickers. I use SRAM ones.

its much easier to wrap helicopter tape if you strip it down to the frame too. no cables in the way then..
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have found that by using careful cable routing I can eliminate rubbing around the headset area.
    It's a bit of a faff but well worth it if you happen to have your bike stripped down for a "proper" overhaul and clean.

Chainstay area getting scratched by the chain is another issue :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I have found that by using careful cable routing I can eliminate rubbing around the headset area.
    It's a bit of a faff but well worth it if you happen to have your bike stripped down for a "proper" overhaul and clean.

Yes, you can, unless you like to turn your handlebars. :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:

Sorry, meant to say "almost eliminate".

IMG_0386.jpg
    See the derailleur cables run clear of the head tube. The brake cables are at least 1" clear.

IMG_0387.jpg
    I can turn the bars almost 45 degrees right before the derailleur cables touch the chrome. Note - touch, not rub.
    The brake cables are still well clear.

IMG_0388.jpg
    I can turn the bars almost 45 degrees left before the derailleur cables touch the chrome. Note - touch, not rub.
    The rear brake cable also comes into contact at this point and would lead to rubbing but I don't think I turn my bars to 45 degrees when on the move.

Not 100% perfect but it helps :wink:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Thanks all!

Have gone with the best tape Paragon Tapes do as my frame is decal free and I didn't fancy little lizards on it. Hopefully that will offer decent protection.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cables on the Galaxy have rubber guards to prevent cable rub - don't know if you can buy them or if its just a Dawes thing.
    When I was commuting regularly I carried a length of poly pipe lagging to prevent the frame rubbing on bike racks at work - 80p from B and Q
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    daviesee wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Sorry, meant to say "almost eliminate".

IMG_0386.jpg
    See the derailleur cables run clear of the head tube. The brake cables are at least 1" clear.

IMG_0387.jpg
    I can turn the bars almost 45 degrees right before the derailleur cables touch the chrome. Note - touch, not rub.

The brake cables are still well clear.

IMG_0388.jpg
    I can turn the bars almost 45 degrees left before the derailleur cables touch the chrome. Note - touch, not rub.
    The rear brake cable also comes into contact at this point and would lead to rubbing but I don't think I turn my bars to 45 degrees when on the move.

Not 100% perfect but it helps :wink:

Droool...got any more photos of your bike, 'cos it's lush!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daviesee
    SecretSam wrote:
    Droool...got any more photos of your bike, 'cos it's lush!!!!
    Ahh, plenty - see the avatar. However they are all out of date.
    Wait till it is re-built with the new tape & saddle. And I'd like to get Italian chromed or alloy stem & bars.
    Then it will be better for next year with handbuilt wheels.....
    Then when i upgrade from 10 speed Centaur to 11 speed Athena....
    Then.... Well you get the picture :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    Then when i upgrade from 10 speed Centaur to 11 speed Athena....

Do make sure you stick with the good stuff ie 2010 Centaur > 2011 Athena.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    Thanks but I am probably 2 years away from that and who knows what will be available by then. :D
    We are going a bit O/T now so I'll revisit this in future threads.