Urge Enduromatic

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got one of these helmets?
Will be checking some out on Monday hopefully.

Are they really as cool (as in not as hot) as they say they are?
I'm really in need of a new trail lid, but want something with a bit more protection than the traditional XC lid. Basically so I don't necessarily need to take my full face if we come across a tidy looking natural DH'ish route.

Other option is the 661 Recon, but I'm not such a big fan.

Obviously fit is the main thing, but you can't get a feel for venting until you're out on the bike!

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the recon is a great helmet, its close whether its better than my old xen, would have gone for the POC trabec had it not been so expensive! a friend has the enduromatic and she rates it highly, you can't really go wrong with either.
  • Yeah the recons look good, light too. Just not sure if its still a bit XC?

I've currently got a Hex, but its old... very old. lol. I should have probably got rid over a year ago!

So now that I'm riding the Canyon pretty much everywhere, I'm slightly worried that if I did crash heavy, the hex will just disintegrate.

Tried the flux but didn't like it... LBS do the Recon and Urge, but I reckon the Urge looks the better of the 2.

I'm just a very hot person, I sweat within minutes of being on the trail so venting is pretty important.
  • I have just taken delivery of a recon wired (Gray / Cyan) and it does seem to fit very well. It's a replacement for my old Hex. I had ordered a Xar from On-one when they had the sale on, but got an email after a couple of days saying they'd sold out.

I like the Urge, but I just don't buy that something that looks that hot can be cool enough.

Whilst my Hex fitted very well, I always thought the padding would have benefitted from being a bit thicker. The Recon seems to have that covered. Time will tell though.
  • Yeah I'm the same tbh... The urge does look hot, but pretty much every review seems to suggest its quite cool.

I'm wondering if thats because people expect it to be really hot to wear, but there is sufficient venting to surpass expectation.
    They are light though, only 10g heavier than the recon.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    My m8 droped a bollcok the other day on the full moon desent and went OTB, his Urge had some big ass dents, but anyother hat would of been in bits
  • Absolutely love mine! Cant even tell its on sometimes as its so light. And it doesnt get too hot IMO.

And if you use a GoPro, the concave mounts stick on the flat bits easily wherever you want them
  • msp1
    msp1 Posts: 59
    I really do like my Urge, even if the wife does hum YMCA ... :roll:

Through the winter it was great, did get a bit hot last Friday when doing Whites climb though and I aint got that much hair to keep me warm anyway :oops: Suspect that when the summer comes it will get a tad warm. Having said that, for the money it's a great lid and such a good fit.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    It's Pretty good for venting, though it's not the coolest ever (vent wise) but the pads do a class job of 'mopping up' your sweat so it's not dripping down your face! It's better at venting than my hex. Unbelieveably light too. I thought the helmet was missing from the box when mine was delivered!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Friend had the urge and during a crash the visor bent and cut into his nose. To be fair to Urge they sent him a replaement and said they would look into the issue.

I am looking for a similar helmet and like the look of the Giro Feature.
  • I have seen the Feature, but it looks a bit boring lol.

The Urge would go nicely with my Canyon!

Think I'm getting this one if I do!
    1152_l.jpg
  • I got a enduromatic a few weeks ago and find it great. Its comfortable and the pads are excellent at keeping sweat out of your face, even when going up big hills.

In terms of heat it doesn't get to hot, which is one of the reasons I prefer it to a full face as although not as protective it still does a pretty good job on not to serious downhill
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    I have had one of these for about 6-7 months and I love it

to be honest its pretty warm if you have any from of climb to attack, it needs air flow and fast air flow to cool you down so on the descents its fookin awesome.

The pad keeps a lot of the sweat away until it gets full and then it drips like hell if it gets squeezed, but what helmet doesn't do that!

i love mine to bits, but i do take it off on the climbs at trail centres

just my tuppence worth
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not sure about the Enduromatic but my Downomatic is the best helmet I have owned. It's very light, extremely comfortable, very well ventilated even though it looks like it's not & has some clever features, like the peak which flexes instead of breaking and the fully removable lining.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Loving my Urge, very comfortable and light. Had a Recon before, again very comfortable but looked like a mushroom on my head.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • this is the Urge all mountain and i think it looks better then the endur-o-matic and it has more vents

2sbo09l.jpg

due out later this year (september)
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Not sure I like that.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Yes please, I want that All-M
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yeah - not sure about that All-Mountain version :?

But I was also thinking about getting the Endur-O-Matic - this one in fact;

69331-1.jpg

The lifts don't open here til June so need a lid to use on the DH bike til then There's some half decent runs around but getting to the top of them is a bitch. Def too hot for the full-face and would like a bit more protection the the XC lid gives me. The Endur-O looks like a good compromise.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8