Bike Envy

DrKJM
DrKJM Posts: 271
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
So I turned up at my friend's house and instead of going to his garage to get his bike he went inside and came out with a shiny new carbon one. Now, I was perfectly happy with my bike. It's not very fancy but it does me very well. And the bike he has bought is nice but not one I would necessarily have picked myself (each to his own and all that). However, I am now suffering from severe bike envy and want a new one. Don't need. Just want. Is this common? Trouble is the bike I really want is going to cost a lot of money as I've decided bespoke steel is what I crave, so it is going to have to wait for a birthday ending in a zero and that's three years away.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Release your inner MAMIL
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
  • DrKJM
    My inner MAMIL is only too obviously on display, much to the dismay of my teenaged children.
  • DrKJM
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    It is now.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Look when you're seven you want everything that's new and shiny it's only when you get older that you realise that you only want what you can't have.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    plowmar wrote:
    Look when you're seven you want everything that's new and shiny it's only when you get older that you realise that you only want what you can't have.

Naaah, when you are young you only want what you can't have. When you get older you no longer want what you couldn't have! At least, that works for me :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    can we have some specific info?

(i.e. what's his bike, and what's yours?)

You could always upgrade and 'sex up' your current bike instead of buying a new one -> chances are he will be jealous of some personalization (as he's just picked an off the shelf bike -> i'm guessing?), and a nice set of wheels etc.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Having been down to Bespoken Bristol, I now have considerable bike envy !! So much so that I'll be buying a custom version of the titanium Enigma Esprit towards the end of the year :mrgreen:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    MattC59 wrote:
    Having been down to Bespoken Bristol, I now have considerable bike envy !! So much so that I'll be buying a custom version of the titanium Enigma Esprit towards the end of the year :mrgreen:
    Bike envy is why I could never go to that show.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Veronese68 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Bike envy is why I could never go to that show.

It was touch and go as to whether I got measured up and put a deposit down at the show. But Mrs C had threatened me with cartoon levels of violence if I'd come home with any form of bike reciept !

I did come back with a lovely Shutt VR jersey, a Cinelli T-Shirt, a little metal model of Tommy Simpson on his bike (for my desk) and some vintage Campag (she only said don't buy a bike ! :lol: )
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I ride a Carrera. There are many many moments of bike envy per day.....
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • DrKJM
    can we have some specific info?

(i.e. what's his bike, and what's yours?)

Mine is the blue Ribble with Campagnolo mirage kit. His is the Raleigh Carbon Comp. It's not about the bike though (where have I heard that before?), it's about NEW. I'm afraid I may be turning into a magpie
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    Mirage kit has to be worth bolting onto a carbon frame. Go on, you know you want to. You won't sleep till you do. It'll consume you. :wink:
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I have bike lust every time one of my cycling buddies gets a new one - hence the collection.

however I have managed to pin down a Wilier Superleggera SLR (team edition) as the 2012 purchase...... come on May 9th!!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2