Training Rides Mid and S Wales

twotyred
twotyred Posts: 822
I want to get a few weekends hilly training done before the Marmotte this year. Anyone know some 60-80 mile routes in Mid or S Wales taking in a few big hills? Looking for long moderate gradients like the Bwych or Rhigos so nothing short and steep. Bonus would be a nice town or village to base myself in.

Comments

• mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    A favorite ride of mine is to do the Bwlch / Rhigos then head north though Ystradfellte to Defynnog via the Trecastle road, then head west to the Black Mountain Climb (B4069). If you want to really hurt youself then do the Bettws mountain climb from Ammanford. I do the loop from Pontardawe and its about 90 miles. I always do this route a few times before any trip to France.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Suggestions:

A470 climb out of Brecon to Storey Arms; Mynydd Illtud road from Brecon; miltary road onto Eppynt ; Builth > Brecon via Upper Chapel; road from Garth onto Eppynt ranges; climbs out of crickhowell / Llangyndir ie The Tumble / llangyndir mtn; Gospel pass; Mtn road from rhayader and return via A44 or Tregaron Mtn road; llanidloes> Machynlleth via mtn rd, and back via Talybont / Nant Y Moch; Start at Builth, go along Tregaron Mtn rd, including devisl staircase, and back via Devils Bridge, The Arch and Elan valley. From Knighton Stonewall hill, and circuit back

That should be a few days worth riding when routes joined up; gardients from 7 % through to 25%, climbs up to 3 miles long and >1000ft ascents

Enjoy
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This one worked quite well for me last year:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/676379

Would do it again as I did enjoy the climbs (Rhigos and Blwch), but not the headwind in the long drag leading up to the last one. Be worth looking around as there are quite a few variations on the theme given the well known lumps.

Failing that, end off to the Brecons for some nice lumps. The Brecon Beacons Brevit (audax) route was very enjoyable when I did it on my lonesome earllier in the year and it had a lovely long climb at a reasonable rate rather than the usual brutal stuff:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/53949/routes

I have a routecard for both somewhere if that helps.
  • Not sure of the distance of this one but you can check it on bikley its agreat loop so you can stay at any of the villages or towns on the route and start and finish there. You can add a couple of extra climbs at llangatock and if you like add extra miles by going the back road from Crickhowell to Brecon and then on to Talgarth. Abergavenny to Crickhowell to (nice long steady climb this bit) talgarth to hay on wye to Caplyfin ( steep climb) down to the skiridd pub back road to Abergavenny. If you would you like a companion on this route let me know.
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk
  • JamesB
    Also worth checking out Sportive routes, eg tour Black Mtn and Devils Ride for example as both use extensively hills in area Brecon / Builth.

How about Brecon >Upper Chapel>Builth> Newbridge>Beulah>Garth>Upper Chapel>Brecon, lots and lots steady climbs there, Garth > Upper Chapel sustained 10% :(

Brecon>Storey Arms up A470> Pontsycill>talybont>Abergavenny (add in loop up Llangyndir, 400m climb avg 8%); llanthony >Gospel Pass> Hay> Brecon via llangorse, fairly flat

OR for a different area:

Builth>Aberedw> Painscastle over Ireland Moor>Gladestry> Walton> Monaughty>bleddfa>Dolau>llandewi>Abbeycwmhir>Rhayader; at Rhayader either cut back down Wye Valley to Builth OR continue on circuit around Elan Valley, going up the 2.5 mile mountain road climb over Cwmddaudwr common---a lot of climbing on this one at least 8 climbs taking in 100m + ascent, several 200m +
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just off to Google Maps to have a look at these.
  • JamesB
    I quickly put this together on MMR from my above notes for route; 90 miles, c 5 000ft climbing, start Builth

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/78 ... ew_route=1

note for some reason MMR goes up byway after R`yder, should actually be along road slightly to west

enjoy if doing
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    What about Gospel Pass?

Further north there are some lovely roads, like Llanidloes to Machynlleth via Staylittle and the mountain road at Dylife (pronounced duh-livvey). This is on the route of Clive Powell's Trans-Cambrian sportive, based in Rhayader. Lots more enjoyable routes on quiet roads in the region.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.