Lee Quarry, Gisburn, or somewhere else

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited April 2012 in Routes
Got a few days in Colne, Pendle, in a couple of weeks and was going to take a day off to do some riding. Can't decide between Gisburn or Lee Quarry. Any recommends? Any other local gems I should consider?

Thanks,

BTM

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Could combine Lee Quarry with some natural riding, we're developing some routes starting in the quarries but then heading out onto the hills. Rossendale and Calderdale both have a good network of bridleways worth riding. (Don't forget Cragg Quarry as well).

Gisburn's good too (I would say that I've built some of it), very different riding from Lee Quarry, much more traditional trail centre.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I work in Colne, live in Barnoldswick and there is a "DH" run in Earby not been yet, also there is Trawden moor bottoms loop which is ok for the miles, wheats hill in Barnoldswick good for a quick blast but,

If you go Gisburn you can easily spend a full day there riding the "8" loop, hopeline and some "off piste" sections.

Lee is also good more of a sessioning play ground but great fun, depends what you want to do.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • booktownman
    Thank for the advice gents. I think I'll head to Lee - I live in South Wales by the Black Mountains so loads of XC and trail centres in striking distance, but Lee does look like something a bit different and I could do with some skills practice.

Mancity - my father in law is in Barlick, I was there just last weekend!

Cheers,

BTM
  • stumpyjon
    Good call, it is very different from Afan and Cwm Carn etc. I tend to do things the other way around, I live next Lee Quarry but the Mother in Law is in Cardiff so sometimes get to ride the valleys.

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Thank for the advice gents. I think I'll head to Lee - I live in South Wales by the Black Mountains so loads of XC and trail centres in striking distance, but Lee does look like something a bit different and I could do with some skills practice.

Mancity - my father in law is in Barlick, I was there just last weekend!

Cheers,

BTM

Next time you up, give me a shout!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • booktownman
    Found time to ride both in the end and was very impressed with both centres, the variety of terrain at Gisburn is outstanding. Hats off to the trail builders.
  • stumpyjon
    Thank you very much, and there's more coming this year so come back again.

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Is that your photo in MBR Stumpyjon?
  • stumpyjon
    For my sins yes, photogenic I'm not. :oops:

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    lol i read that last night and thought local hero i wonder if that is stumpy jon..

does that mean your famous now....

it's good to see you getting some recognition for your hard work...
  • stumpyjon
    delcol wrote:
    does that mean your famous now....

One of the guys at my (new) work recognised me from the MBR article :shock: To be fair they've been pretty supportive of Gisburn, they did a piece two years ago on the Gisburn volunteer trail builders.

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    stumpyjon wrote:
    For my sins yes, photogenic I'm not. :oops:

Fair play, I'll know who to look out for if I ever make it past Lee to get to Gisburn.