Saddle height 109%

iPip
iPip Posts: 90
edited March 2012 in Workshop
109% of inside leg seems to be the standard starting point for saddle height. Can anyone tell me if I should measure from the pedals with the cranks in a straight up/down position or with the cranks at a slight angle so they align with the seat tube? It probably only makes a small difference, but that seems to be all it needs to end up comfortable or not.
Regards
Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Hybrid Comp
Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• Measure it with the crank aligned at the same angle as seat tube - try it set there and then follow the saddle height advice in the table on this guide if it's not perfect and causes you problems -

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

for final tweaking. Sheldon also says set it and then adjust up until you get a pain in the back of the knee then back off as the higher the better - never done it that way myself though.
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    Thanks for the reply and the really useful link. I've been struggling for a while to get a pain free setup.

Since switching to clippers pedals I've been having problems at the back of my knee, it feels like some sort of tendon strain. I lowered my seat which several people recommended but it hasn't cured it. I've managed to minimise it on my commuter (SPDs), but the journey's a lot shorter. Did 30m on the road bike this morning (SDP-DL) and suffering a bit now. I'm loathe to drop the seat too much as I never had any problems with flats, so I'm hoping a closer look at fore/aft positioning and cleat setup can help.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu