Centrelock brake disc rotor - conversion.

Cubist
Cubist Posts: 73
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Coming up to replacing my brake pads when I noticed that my rotors are of a steel only suitable for resin pads. Slightly disappointing, but, hey, easy enough to swap them out.
Thing is, theyre shimano centrelock rotors and im wondering would I be best to just buy higher-end centrelock rotors, or to buy conversion adaptors and fit traditional 6 bolt jobs. Pros and cons please folks...
Also, what are peoples thoughts on the centrelock system?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just use whatever pads you want. Shimano stick those little stickers on all their rotors, I've been using sintered pads and Shimano rotors for years and they haven't worn out yet. Even if they do, you might as well wear them out before you buy new ones. All rotors are made of stainless steal anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I've been using Formula sintered pads with cheap shimano discs for a while now with no problems.
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    Im going to bow to your wisdom on this one guys. I'll go with the sintered pads, ride em hard for a couple of outings then take a look at the rotors. Thanks for the advice.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    sintered pads on "resin only" for 3 years...... fine
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5