Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Controversial FiT payment retained

RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
The government have lost their appeal to reduce the FiT payment for those installing systems before 3rd March 2012.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... sfeed=true

Good news for democracy as the government halved the FiT payment during the 6-week period they were consulting in. This had a dramatic effect on the industry sending many companies to the wall and causing chaos. Bad news for the environment? well I suppose you could argue that the subsidy could have been better spread at the lower tariff.

Posts

  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    I think the wider implications are that people will just add this to all the other negatives that surround the industry. Now another reason not to bother with this funny 'alternative' energy.

    When will people start to realise that it is not about money, it's about taking responsibility for your own consumption.

    I have a friend that has a 4kw FIT system and only ever talks about the money he gets and puts an electric fire on whilst he is out to warm up his house as the electricity is free, but panics and rushes home if it clouds over, as he will then be paying.

    I live in solar powered house (not connected to the grid) and in my experience solar teaches you to live within your means as if energy is a finite resource :)

    Mine is not a money making scheme, I make electricity for my own use, people always assume I have solar power to make money, this is the damage that the FIT system is doing.

    You can live without supporting the power companies/nuclear industry, and you would think this would be enough of an incentive, so much more than the 21pence incentive.

    Why produce clean energy, sell it to the industry and then get your electricity from perhaps a nuclear supply at a subsidised rate when you started out with your own clean energy, FIT is just muddying the water.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • OffTheBackAdamOffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    There should be no FiT.
    Why should my 81 year old mother, pay over the odds for her electricity, which she needs to run her storage radiators, so this money can be put into the pockets of those much richer than her?
    The whole climate-change scam, is based on this. 100% subsidies for land-based bird choppers, 200% for the ones at sea.
    The UK's a ridiculous place to have solar PV systems, even Spain's twigged that it's uneconomical.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    team47b wrote:
    When will people start to realise that it is not about money, it's about taking responsibility for your own consumption.

    Never.
    If it's cheaper, and it's as good as, (or good enough) they will use it.
    If it's more expensive they won't.

    If this wasn't the case everyone would be buying fair trade baked beans from the co-op for £3 a tin rather than Heinz at £1.50 a tin or Tesco own brand at 20p a tin.
    *Prices are purley for example.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    There should be no FiT.
    Why should my 81 year old mother, pay over the odds for her electricity, which she needs to run her storage radiators, so this money can be put into the pockets of those much richer than her?
    The whole climate-change scam, is based on this. 100% subsidies for land-based bird choppers, 200% for the ones at sea.
    The UK's a ridiculous place to have solar PV systems, even Spain's twigged that it's uneconomical.

    Disagree. The unit cost of PV has been dropping like a stone as the scale of production has massively increased. In a couple of years it will be a cost effective option in Iceland never mind Spain!
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    There should be no FiT.
    Why should my 81 year old mother, pay over the odds for her electricity, which she needs to run her storage radiators, so this money can be put into the pockets of those much richer than her?

    and for your mother... who might be 83 by then... we're talking a 4kw system now for £7-8,000 that will provide electricity for 25 years+, hardly a play thing of the rich... how many people have £7,500 loans...
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    nwallace wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    When will people start to realise that it is not about money, it's about taking responsibility for your own consumption.

    Never.
    If it's cheaper, and it's as good as, (or good enough) they will use it.
    If it's more expensive they won't.

    If this wasn't the case everyone would be buying fair trade baked beans from the co-op for £3 a tin rather than Heinz at £1.50 a tin or Tesco own brand at 20p a tin.
    *Prices are purley for example.

    Just me then.

    I forgot to make allowances for short term, me first, exploit the workers Britain, yes you are right it is only about the money.

    Carry on.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    Why would anyone spend money on something that is going to make life even more expensive than it is?
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    nwallace wrote:
    Why would anyone spend money on something that is going to make life even more expensive than it is?

    Branding.
    Marketing.
    PR.

    you said "If it's cheaper, and it's as good as, (or good enough) they will use it.
    If it's more expensive they won't."

    Aldi vs Assos.
    Tiagra vs Dura ace.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    team47b wrote:
    nwallace wrote:
    Why would anyone spend money on something that is going to make life even more expensive than it is?

    Branding.
    Marketing.
    PR.

    you said "If it's cheaper, and it's as good as, (or good enough) they will use it.
    If it's more expensive they won't."

    Aldi vs Assos.
    Tiagra vs Dura ace.

    But Dura Ace is better than Tiagra, Assos is better than Aldi.
    Electricity when it comes out the socket is Electricity...
    In fact disconnecting from the grid may result in lower quality service because short of a sub-station blowing up or a workman cutting the cable there is very little anxiety about not having enough of it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • schweizschweiz Posts: 1,644
    nwallace wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    nwallace wrote:
    Why would anyone spend money on something that is going to make life even more expensive than it is?

    Branding.
    Marketing.
    PR.

    you said "If it's cheaper, and it's as good as, (or good enough) they will use it.
    If it's more expensive they won't."

    Aldi vs Assos.
    Tiagra vs Dura ace.

    But Dura Ace is better than Tiagra, Assos is better than Aldi.
    Electricity when it comes out the socket is Electricity...
    In fact disconnecting from the grid may result in lower quality service because short of a sub-station blowing up or a workman cutting the cable there is very little anxiety about not having enough of it.

    [AllegedTrueStory]
    A salesman for an electricity company was walking through a well-to-do area of town trying to convince customers to switch tariffs to one which provided cheaper electricity during the night time (for warming storage heaters and the like). On visiting one house he was told quite clearly by the lady answering the door to 'Sling his hook' as she was quite happy with her current electricity supply, could afford it and didn't need to have 'cheap' electricity!
    [/AllegedTrueStory]
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    Ha Ha

    Once had a power salesman try and tell us that NPower were a bad supplier because they got theirs from Nuclear power plants (well guess from the name...) and that the company he was trying to sell didn't do anything like that... Hm no of course not, because the Scottish grid doesn't consist of Torness, Hunterston and Logannet (Coal) and loads of Hydro pumped storage systems...
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
Sign In or Register to comment.