When is a Gold Service not a Gold Service?

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
I recently took my old steed in to the local Evans for a long overdue Gold Service, just looking to give it some TLC before moving it on to a new owner (yeah, I'm selling it and upgrading!).
I took it in, had a call saying that certain things needed looking at - ie, the bottom bracket and the big ring were a bit worn, etc, etc..., but I just asked them to do the service and I'd think about the 'bigger' work later.
Anywhoo, having got the bike back, and paid for extra's, I noticed that one of the 'extra's' was replacement of the brake cables. It wasn't until I looked again at what the Gold Service included, that I saw "New cable set fitted" as part of the service. Now, I saw that they had replaced the gear cables, but would you expect the brake cables to be replaced as well? Isn't this what "New cable set' implies?

It will have to go back anyway, as another part of the 'deal' with the Gold Service is "New grips/bar tape fitted", and I hadn't noticed, but they also haven't touched the grips at all! (Yeah I know, I've been particularly lax in checking the bike at first, but I've been pretty much bed-ridden with flu since I got it back home - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Not happy, to be honest, I expected more from them, especially the money I have sent their way over the past few months.

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    The issue with any chain is the quality of mechs you get. Halfords, Evans and others have good mechs and less good ones..... Find a good LBS and build a relationship with them. I just looked at Evans price lists -they charge £10 to fit a water bottle holder..... and £10 to fit a clip on mudguard set...... Oh dear :(
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    surely 'new cable set fitted' means fitting a new cable set and it doesn't imply its included in the price

as opposed to -> 'new cable set, fitted.' which would imply the price of the cable set is included in the service.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Well I suppose technically, yes, the way it's written would mean that the fitting only is included, and not the cable set itself. But given that the gear cable set was included AND fitted as part of the service, but I was only charged for the brake cables, which were also fitted.
    Anyway, I'll have it out with them tomorrow morning - on the basis that if the fitting only is included, then it is a bit misleading putting 'New cable set fitted' as part of the inclusive deal, coma or no coma.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    comma, unless you are planning to sleep for a while ie coma!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited March 2012
    No mention of replacing bar tape or brake cables on the website. I wouldnt expect new bar tape or cables to be fitted unless required (and the parts priced extra) with any service to be fair. I would expect the inners pulled out and lubricated though with a full stripdown service.

http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing

Do you have a more complete breakdown of the servicing wording at all??
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Convention would be that whilst the service would include the 'fitting' of the cables etc i.e. labour, the actual cost of the parts would be extra.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    When is a Gold Service not a Gold Service? When you take it to Evans of course ....... they're not going to care how much money you spend with them, bad service is bad service!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    id have done you a diamond service for what that must have cost.
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    Had a look on evanscycle website and found this pricelist for my local store which details the services http://www.evanscycles.com/uploads/File/servicing/Bristol_ServicingPriceList.pdf, the gold service does include new grips/bar tape fitting although at the top it also says "excludes cost of parts". The gold service also includes the silver service, which includes a replacement of one set of cables free, the second set you pay for hence being charged.

The halfords bike plan is worth it if your local halfords has a switched on bike mechanic; £14 covers you for the year and includes a service (plus cost of parts) and repairs/upgrades (plus cost of parts). As I say you need a halfords that has a decent mechanic and you are restricted to the parts halfords stock.
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    paulus69 wrote:
    The gold service also includes the silver service, which includes a replacement of one set of cables free, the second set you pay for hence being charged.

Interesting link. £11.50 to fit a tyre!! Ouch!! The way I read that pricing list is that the cables are fitted free, but both gear and brake cables would need to be purchased to be fitted (as per Ali's post a few above ^^). Sounds like they actually undercharged (if you can call £90+ "undercharged!!)
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    as a general point i personally would not take my bike to evans, too much of the big company not caring issue for me, instead would get a good lbs. even if the shop is not the cheapest(like my personal choice) the relationship you build will get you such a better service and vfm! i know pretty much nothing about the anatomy of a bike so a good relationship is important for me.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    just glancing at prices, i stupidly messed up trying to fit my clip less pedals. my lbs re-bored the thread and fitted the pedal within about 10 mins cost me i think £7 yet evans cost £10...and would you get it fixed so quickly?
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012