Advice on new bar and stem for my Anthem, please

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Having ridden about 80 miles on my GT in its new short stem/wide bar guise (65mm/745mm), I'm converted. Today I had a short spin on the Anthem (down to the LBS) and it just felt 'wrong' - so my next move is to go shorter/wider on the Anthem... and I'm after some thought on stem and bar.

I'm looking at an 80mm stem and a bar around 720mm - but what to get?

Exotic do a 6061 stem for under £15, and another 6061/carbon mix for £24... (though out of stock on 80mm at the moment). Both seem to weigh about the same at 170g... so I'm guessing you are paying for 'stronger'.
I quite like the look of the Truvative AKA AM which should be lighter than 170g (as it's 170g for a 110mm), but that's £35, and then there's always a Superstar Zenith for £27 at 144g, though it looks a bit shiny! Is there much to be said for different stems? The Hope AM was a best buy in the mags, but that's £55 (and only in 70mm). Is there really much difference? I've tried a 90mm borrowed from a Zesty which just *looks* light and flimsy compared to the solid looking Giant stem... which is how I've got to 'around 80mm' as a choice, but AM rather than XC in build.

As for bars, I could just get another set of Sunline V1s for £25 - the 745s are only in blue now and would need to be cut, but then there's 711s in black which might do. The Raceface Atlas AM 725 bar looks about right - but that's nearly £60... Superstar do an AM bar for £35, but it's a 780 which would need serious cutting, and at 345g it seems a bit weighty though I guess some of that would go with the hacksaw!

So am I on the right lines here? I want to be spending under £100 all in, but I'm not quite sure what to look for. The eXotic carbons look *light* at 157g for a 750mm and at £61 that seems good value... but would this be a good idea? and would I be able to fit my Ergon bar ends to them without some sort of plug?
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    The Exotic stems are good. I have a couple in the garage I'll bring one tomorrow.

What width bar are you looking for 720? I'd get these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42513

Claimed weight is 315g.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Wow those are wide bars,on an Anthem......
    I thought I was going wide with 680mm Easton EC70 bars......
    I've got a 90mm KCNC fly ride stem on mine.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bartimaeus
    This is what a wide bar Anthem X4 looks like... 760s!

The stock bars on my size L X4 appear to be about 660m (not exactly sure as it's in the LBS), so with the Ergon bar ends I've a climbing position that's equivalent to nearer 700mm... but downhill you don't use the bar ends.
  • bartimaeus
    Eranu wrote:
    tomorrow.
    Cheers. The sun is shining, so I'm going to ride up I think... it almost seems a shame to spend the day digging!

Those Answer bars look good. Don't know how I missed them - must have been that I saw the £108 carbon versions first, so my eyes were watering :D
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Chain Reaction have the Atlas 725mm bars for £46.99. Would save you a few pounds.
  • these pair should be just what your after. i have the stem on the xtc and considering going for these wider bars to match.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80332

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55480
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For me the Exotic Meta F stem, 125g, £20.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=48&p=608&

And their carbon bar:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=94&p=1063&

£80 in total, and 280g in total, doubt you'd do better than that.
  • The Spiderman
    I`d go with sonic`s suggestion.Those look great if they meet the claimed weight.156g for 750mm bar is superlight.
    Though I got my Eastons for £56 and my KCNC stem (actual weight 112g)for £21(Koo bikes).Some great deals on ebay of late...... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Spiderman
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    This is what a wide bar Anthem X4 looks like... 760s!

The stock bars on my size L X4 appear to be about 660m (not exactly sure as it's in the LBS), so with the Ergon bar ends I've a climbing position that's equivalent to nearer 700mm... but downhill you don't use the bar ends.

The Connect SL bars on mine were 620mm.Ridiculously narrow!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • supersonic
    635mm feels quite wide to me lol.
  • The Spiderman
    supersonic wrote:

Once you go wide you don`t go back! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    From what I have seen it's very much personal preference but I really do like my wide bars (it's mine that's been linked to)
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bartimaeus
    Definitely going with an eXotic stem - though there are three, and it's not quite clear what the differences are. The one Sonic linked is very light... I suspect Sonic is a smoother rider than I am, so I'm a bit apprehensive that this superlight front end might be too light!

Had a ride round the carpark on Eranu's bike with an eXotic stem and 720 carbon Answer bars, and it felt pretty much spot on.... but still mulling which 720 bars.

The eXotic carbon are light, but are too wide without cutting. The Answer alu 720 bars a slightly cheaper, need no effort on my part ( :D ) but will be heavier. If I go for the carbon are they easy to trim? I'll do a search as I think I saw someone saying all you needed was the right hacksaw blade and some lockons to use as a guide. I'm guessing there's no big deal on clamping stuff to them - though if anyone knows whether I need something to set them up for the Ergon grips I'd appreciate knowing.

Must get ordering... the sun is shining I've next week off work; I get the Anthem back from the LBS this week - and there's a newly completed trail that needs some proper testing!
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

Lol, I did though! Went to 685mm and was like "what the hell?!!" Hated it!
  • The Spiderman
    Rode with my new 685mm Monkeylites today,I must say I wouldnt want to go any wider.Bike felt very wide thorugh the trees of my local singletrack....................
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    supersonic wrote:

I used to run 720 for trails and jumping, now i've gone back to 660. Just never felt the benefit coming down but the 660s are nicer to climb on!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Any idea what the intended use for the Exotic Carbon wide bars are? ie are they built with strength in mind or was it just about getting that weight down?

Also on a side note. After demoing a Trek Remedy for 2 days which had 720mm bars, my normal bike which I've been riding almost unchanged for 3 years with 680mm bars feels all narrow and sketchy now! 3 years of faithful service blown away by 2 days of fun.