Which bike? 2012 26er or 29er?

MrTibbs
MrTibbs Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm after some advice from those in the know.

Right - I'm looking for a hardtail to play around with on trails. I'm looking at entry level bikes at the moment and have pretty much narrowed it down to two. I was looking at eBay, but the security and bespoke service from my local shop seems like a better option as I'm no expert.

So I'm looking at the trusty old Rockhopper:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... rockhopper

However, my local shop has thrown a spanner in the works and has suggested a 29er, the Giant, as an alternative:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 041/48915/

Both are the same price! I want to get a bike with a frame I can keep and upgrade the parts over the years - so this decision is whether I go traditional or opt for a bigger wheel.

I get the idea that a 29er is a faster more comfortable ride, but does it perform as well as a 26er on slower more technical routes?

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    If I was you, I'd ride both on the trails you will be riding the most and see what you think.
  • MrTibbs
    I'd like to, but I don't think the shop would let me take them out, except on local roads...
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Find a different shop. Where are you based? I'm sure some people on here will have some recommendations of good bike shops in your area.

They may not be able to get you a ride on the exact bike but they should be able to get you a ride on a very simular one.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Well if you believe the hype in the mags 29" is the magic wheel size that will soon replace that old fashioned 26" rubbish and only a fool would buy a 26" bike. Says the man who has just done exactly that :D

Cheers

Andy
  • Personally I would only buy a 29er as a second bike to an existing 26". Wouldn't buy it as my only bike.
    I would rather pay my money on a well-specced 26. For the same money, your 29 will have a compromised spec.

I was in the same boat, last month- but looking for a 2nd bike to compliment my trail 26".
    After testing loads of bikes, I ended up with a lighter 26" xc bike. :roll:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MrTibbs
    Thanks for your thoughts, yeah, it will be my only MTB and I don't intend to buy another bike for the foreseeable, but I do want a decent frame for long-term component upgrade. I just don't want to invest in a brand new 26er if in a few years everyone will be moving to a bigger wheel! Why would a 29er be a bad idea for a first MTB?

What sort of percentage of people are currently riding 29ers?

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks!