Old 80's racer converted into a...

ricing
ricing Posts: 10
edited March 2012 in Your road bikes
... single speed bike! Yes, I'm 45 years old and a bike nerd. So it was inevitable that when I counted the gears on all my bikes, I realized I didn’t need any more… gears. Just one ;).

This was once a Crescent (Swedish brand) that I rebuilt into a single speed racer last summer. Maybe somebody think that I should have restored it to its original state, but it was fun “building” it and I really enjoy riding it!

crescentspmars20121.jpg
By dr_eggel at 2012-03-23

crescentspmars20122.jpg
By dr_eggel at 2012-03-23

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Nice looking bike sir - I'm a 51 year-old Single Speeder - NOT Fixed I hasten to add - but there's nothing better for commuting - just takes away that neccesity to make decisions about what 'gear' you are in - pure riding!!

Good luck :-)
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Bike looks great, but did you make that bottle cage from a wire coat hanger?
  • ricing
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Bike looks great, but did you make that bottle cage from a wire coat hanger?

LOL! No, I asked my local bike dealer for a retro looking bottle cage, and that is what he sold me. :)
  • ricing
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Nice looking bike sir - I'm a 51 year-old Single Speeder - NOT Fixed I hasten to add - but there's nothing better for commuting - just takes away that neccesity to make decisions about what 'gear' you are in - pure riding!!

Spot on!
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    Very nice :)

Question for you. Did the frame come with bottle cage bosses when you got it?

It's just from what I can see from your photo the frame only has 1 lot of bosses. So just wondered if you added them yourself.

I have an old racer that I'm looking at refurbing but it has no bottle bosses. Is there a simple fix to this? Or is it quite fiddly?
  • Jae3306
    Jae3306 Posts: 10
    Danny87 wrote:

It's just from what I can see from your photo the frame only has 1 lot of bosses. So just wondered if you added them yourself.

I have an old racer that I'm looking at refurbing but it has no bottle bosses. Is there a simple fix to this? Or is it quite fiddly?

Very nice build, im also interested as to if you added the bottle bosses yourself! I have a frame with no bottle bosses too :(
  • ricing
    Danny87 wrote:

No, the bottle bosses where there when I bought the bike. On the downtube only.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Lovely clean build. I'm not normally one for coloured tyres especially on an old classic steel frame but the blue and grey/silver looks great. And I like the bottle cage - skinny tubes, skinny cage. If I was being really picky I'd cut the rear cable outer a bit shorter.

[edit] I tell you what go nicely though, this titanium bottle cage I have on my bike. Nice minimalist look. :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-titanium-bottle-cage/
  • ricing
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Well, if I flip the rear wheel 180 degrees it’s a fixie! I haven't tried this yet though. I don’t think I dare… ;)