Help on first MTB purchase.

dawsonz
dawsonz Posts: 15
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Only recently registered but thought i'd start my own topic.

I'm hoping to buy a hardtail MTB within the next couple of weeks and was hoping for some assistance in what to buy.

I'm 6ft 2 in size however I intend to test the bike before I go ahead and purchase.

I live in Peterborough so was going to try Terry Wright's Cycles which is nearby.

My budget is a maximum of £600 however I obviously want the best I can get for my money.

Any help would be much appreciated as to what bike you would recommend.

Many thanks

Richard

Comments

• harders10
    harders10 Posts: 25
    Hi mate
    I got back in to MTBing last summer and bought a Cannondale Trail SL4 2011 - It was £600 and I love it. You can get the 2011 version for about £500 now and as far as I can tell its got a better spec than the 2012 version.

The suspension isn't great but is adequate for what I use it for. (And you can always upgrade if neccessary) I've just swapped the pedals and it's spot on for me now. Great bike IMO.

Cheers
    Andy
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Rockrider 8.1 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html you wont find a better spec for the money
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • dawsonz
    Thank you both for your help.

I like the look of the decathalon but the nearest store is in London.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    You should be able to find a Giant Talon 2 or 3 for that money. I've only ridden the higher-end ones, but they're really rather good for an entry-level hardtail.

At that price point, I'd be looking for the best frame possible -- that way you can change the gears and/or fork around later if you want to upgrade, whereas if you buy a lower-end frame with a better on-paper component spec, you'll need a whole new bike if you want any significant improvement. Giant and Cannondale both make very good aluminium frames, so I'd be looking first at those two.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There aren't any bad frames though at this price point, just those were you pay extra for a brand name!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    dawsonz wrote:

ikea retail park nottingham according to google :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • dawsonz
    chez_m356 wrote:
    dawsonz wrote:

ikea retail park nottingham according to google :wink:

Ha yes I missed that one.

Like the look of the decathlon.

I also looked at the Cannondale SL4 2012.

May take a visit to the Nottingham store for the Decathlon.
  • The Rookie
    If the journey to a decathlon puts you off, consider either a Carrera Fury of Voodoo Hoodoo from Halfords, not quite as nice a spec as the RR, but a slightly different ride, much better vale than the 'dale.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dawsonz
    If the journey to a decathlon puts you off, consider either a Carrera Fury of Voodoo Hoodoo from Halfords, not quite as nice a spec as the RR, but a slightly different ride, much better vale than the 'dale.

I might give Halfords a try and look at those two above, hoping to have a try and see which feels right.

Could anyone advise me on this bike below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

It's local to me on eBay and was wondering if it would a good purchase?
  • The Rookie
    That's not a bad bike at all for the money, although you can find better value, for a starter that should be OK. The Hayes9 are NOT one of the better brakes, but they are perfectly competant.

The Fork is quite old and not as good as any on the bikes discussed, but with what you save you could get a good newer used pair and make the bike that bit better.

Simon
  • dawsonz
    That's not a bad bike at all for the money, although you can find better value, for a starter that should be OK. The Hayes9 are NOT one of the better brakes, but they are perfectly competant.

The Fork is quite old and not as good as any on the bikes discussed, but with what you save you could get a good newer used pair and make the bike that bit better.

Simon

Thank you for your help Simon, appreciate it.

I've also found a nice Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2011 2nd hand that's 7 months old I may enquire about but want to make sure i'm not paying over the odds.

Any ideas what the above would be worth 2nd hand?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd second a Carrera Fury :-) fab bike.

I don't see the point in buying a bike with a poor fork - that's a pretty major component to have to look at upgrading straight away!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • dawsonz
    Would £440 be a good buy for the Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp 2011? Hoping to collect it this week :D
  • dawsonz
    supersonic wrote:
    If new, yes.

No it's 2nd hand.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to check the condition very closely. It is no better specced than the Rockrider 8.1 really (and made by the same company!)
  • dawsonz
    supersonic wrote:
    You need to check the condition very closely. It is no better specced than the Rockrider 8.1 really (and made by the same company!)

Thanks for your help - I feel a bit skeptical about going ahead and getting it now.

I'll maybe hold fire for the time being as i'm in no rush.
  • dawsonz
    edited March 2012
    Me again, thanks for help provided so far.

I have 3 options with me at the moment.

1. Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp 2011 - £400 - 7 months old.
    2. Giant Revel 0 LTD 2012 - £450 new (not from store it's an eBayer.)
    3. Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 - £500 new.

Any help appreciated.
  • supersonic
    Rockrider, no contest (if it fits!).
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    supersonic wrote:

That
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dawsonz
    supersonic wrote:

Hopefully, think i'll take a look on Sunday.

XL size needed I believe going by the MTB size chart.

If I went to decathlon on the Sunday would it be a case of taking it away that day (if available) ?
  • supersonic
    Can't see why not! Try the L too though.