What to expect from a club?

rowings MTP
rowings MTP Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I think I've plateaued cycling on my own so have been thinking of joining a club but what is reasonable to expect?

Coaching/training plans/race programmes etc....?
Is it expensive?
Would I need to buy loads of kit?
What sort of a pace should I be able to keep up on my own in order to ride with guys more experienced than me? (Don't want to get dumped out the back on day one and make a wally of myself).
What sort of time sacrifice is required? :?

Finally, if anyone has any recomendations for clubs in the Chester area they would be gratefully received. At the moment I am thinking more towards longer rides but ultimately I'd like to give Time trialling a go.

Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times before but thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• just join the club on social rides, so no need for race programmes and stuff.

no it's not expensive :) depends on how much the club charge you to join.

no you don't need to buy loads of kit. just helps if you can afford it!

try riding with the beginner group to start off with, you will possibly be new to riding in a bunch and it's quite worrying if your all over the place with people behind you! staying with the group - really depends on what group you join. there should be a slow, faster, and then the race lads!

you dont have to go on a ride with them so not many time sacrifices. just a slow and pleasant ride in the morning and if you don't like the pace go to the front and work abit harder ;)

can't help you with clubs but if you google you could find info
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Probably the best money you will ever spend.

To my pleasant surprise both clubs I have joined weren't full of elite of racers who train 20 hours week, on the latest carbon machine. On the b run - mostly ordinary guys, who just enjoy riding a bike - i m sure you will have a great time
  • Thanks for the comments both, I've only ever done team sports before and tbh I quite like the rigidity of a set training plan and coaching and its much easier to cry off when it rains when your only letting yourself down!!
    Recon a club is the way to go though and the fact they have a slower group to start off is reassuring. :D
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    I have just begun riding with a club having found myself at what I considered a plateau as the OP indicated he/she has also.

It took a degree of courage on my part as silly as that may sound, you never know how good you are until you ride with others who have been doing it for a while, it threw up a few surprises.

I thought I was quite good at hill climbing, I wasn't, I was much better at sprinting than I thought I would be and surprised myself with fast bike control during downhills which I can only put down to years of riding in traffic whilst commuting and experience from MTBs.

First ride out was an 18mph average, 35 miles in 2hrs ish, in hilly Yorkshire and with a 3.5 mile moorland climb halfway through and a final 'oh shyt I'm going to die' downhill 4 mile finish.

I had draughted buses, wagons and Ovlov estates whilst riding to work and back but had not expected the draught effect to be so pronounced whilst riding in a group of 20 or so individuals, it was remarkable, I was on the brakes all the time.

Finally I have to offer thanks to one member who hung back when I was flagging, kicked my arse, helped me get some speed back 3/4 of the way around and got me back into the pack.

Shame I'm in my 40's, wish I'd done it years ago as is so often said.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Turn up at the Eureka cafe at Two Mills any weekend and see which club looks fun ?

Doubt you'd get coaching or training plans. You will get advice but they don't normally offer services like that.
    Cost- club subs - its not expensive but varies from club to club.
    Pace - most clubs have different groups with different paces. Remember it's easier to ride faster on someone's wheel.
    Time - cycling does require a fair amount of miles to get good. But that's up to you. You can still be part of a club and ride infrequently.

You will probably have to Marshall some of their events though. As with a lot of things - you get out of cycling what you put in.