Frame knackered by attempted theft

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Guy I work with had his Boardman Hybrid knackered last week by local scrotes trying (unsuccessfully) to crowbar the Kryptonite D-Lock off his bike. Was secured to an Oxford stand and the lock did its job - other than the rubber around the metal being ripped, the lock is in perfect condition. Unfortunately, the same cant be said for the bike.

The seatpost part of the frame is bent beyond sensible repair and the back wheel is bent too. LBS told him neither can be salvaged.

To make matters worse, he has just found out that his insurance doesnt cover anything... He only bought the bike 2 weeks ago and hadnt got round to checking the policy etc.

So he wants to look at how cheaply he can get the bike back up and running again. New wheel is easy enough to find and shouldnt cost too much, but the frame might be more of an issue:

The bike is a 2011 Boardman Hybrid Ltd Editition with Rim brakes. I am guessing Halfrauds wouldnt be able to get a new frame and any different frame may necessitate changing other parts.

There is a Boardman Road Frame for sale on ebay and it looks the same as the one on his hybrid - I think they are essentially the same frame but the other hybrids have a different frame with disc mounts and no rim brake mounts.

Do you think this would fit his current bike easily? If not is there another frame he should look at and what should he be aware of to minimise the other componentry he would need to change?

Alternatively, he could break the bike up and sell for parts and then buy another complete bike - this may be the easier or better option?

Comments

• weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    Try Halfords first.
    They may flog you a frame, then you're good to go.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think he is going to Halfords tomorrow - but as its not a current model and even when it was a ltd edition of just 250 (all the other hybrids had disc brakes) I dont know if they will be able to do it. Hopefully it is the same frame as the road bike in which case boardman may still be able to supply but ideal if he can get one on ebay cheaper...