Cadence questions

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Since fitting a cateye strada with cadence function to my geared bike I've started keeping an eye on what I'm spinning.

Full chat for me is ~110 but I tend to sit in a comfort zone of around 70, dropping a cog if it goes below 65, raising one if it goes above 80.

Is that in line with your legs? Or should I be aiming to keep the rate higher? I concious of that whole "turbine vs steam engine" analogy.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    80+ is my mantra, and seems to fit with what others on BR have said in the past. 85 -100 is the comfort zone, I run out of limbs above 120.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I try and aim for 85-95 when sustaining a decent pace for a while. It takes a conscious effort though. Natural cadence seems to be around 85.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I seem to have a natural cadence of around 90 and settle into it no matter what gear I am using, so a smaller sprocket means more effort but higher speed.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    http://app.strava.com/rides/5529129

Interesting looking at my cadence stats on this ride (most recent with cadence). Not sure the spikes are humanly possible, but do coincide with intense bursts. Average of around 68, probably accounts for freewheeling / stopping though? Looking at the graph, median (?) seems to be around 75-80 - probably need to work on getting my legs moving a bit faster.
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    My average over the last 5 years or so has hovered around 70. I've just started attempting to keep in over 90 for a few rides a week to mix it up a bit.
    Marmalade