THIEVES I TELL YEE!

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
I went into Evans Cycles on my way to uni, needed a break cable, I remember them being like £1.25 each last time I went, well this time.... FOUR POUNDS NINETY NINE....

I had no choice, my hands were tied, if I were to race tomorrow I had to pay the THIEVES price. I should have joined those in the riot that put bricks through their windows they DESERVE it at those THIEVING PRICES!! :evil:

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I tend to stock up on consumables like cables and tubes when they're on offer.

Some bike shops price match internet sites (if you ask nicely).
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    GiantMike wrote:
    Some bike shops price match internet sites (if you ask nicely).
    Some bike shops including evans http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match
    you've got 7 days to claim your refund willhub.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    But..... who to blame?
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    So do I just walk into store with receipt and website and show it on me phone then they'll refund me like 3 quid?
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    willhub wrote:
    I went into Evans Cycles on my way to uni, needed a break cable,

Modern education still has some way to go. :lol:
  • GiantMike
    brianonyx wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    I went into Evans Cycles on my way to uni, needed a break cable,

Modern education still has some way to go. :lol:

More importantly, who goes into Uni on a Friday?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    willhub wrote:
    So do I just walk into store with receipt and website and show it on me phone then they'll refund me like 3 quid?

This is also a particulary good example of the stunning educational standards to be found at "Uni" I think.....

More importantly, why did they start calling technical/HE colleges "Uni"? I particularly like the fact that those that go to "Uni" call them "Uni" and not "University" like those that go to "Univeristy" ...... Oh, for the good old days to return ......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

This is also a particulary good example of the stunning educational standards to be found at "Uni" I think.....

No, I think you'll find that the 'Me phone' is the latest kit that the cool kids have instead of 'i phones' (which are so last week). Keep up! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • GiantMike
    Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

More importantly, why did they start calling technical/HE colleges "Uni"? I particularly like the fact that those that go to "Uni" call them "Uni" and not "University" like those that go to "Univeristy" ...... Oh, for the good old days to return ......

Yeah, I miss cholera. Right, I'm going downstairs to beat some staff, and maybe have a go on Maisy in the larder.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    GiantMike wrote:
    Right, I'm going downstairs to beat some staff, and maybe have a go on Maisy in the larder.

Well, I suppose we can all dream..................
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

University=education, Tech=training

Immanuel Kant believed that education was different from training in that training involves thinking whereas education does not, therefore more people into 'uni' for education, than HE/colleges, init.
    (ex university lecturer)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Rolf F wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    willhub wrote:

No, I think you'll find that the 'Me phone' is the latest kit that the cool kids have instead of 'i phones' (which are so last week). Keep up! :lol:

Nice. very nice. I like. I also underatnd that they are bring ones out for parents: the ma phone and the pa phone.

Seriously - I don't want to sound like a snob, but you don't have staff? For the love of mercy, you'll be telling me next that you don't have a tailor ....

You do have a tailor don't you?

Yeah GiantMike, back in the 80's cholera was everywhere. Couldn't move without it jumping all over you. As we wandered down to University, we had to beat it off with sticks. With sharp nails in.

Much like having to work to get into University and not being surrounded by 10,000,000 "graduates" with degrees in dance & drama and media studies all whinging that no one will give them a job although they have a "degree" from "Uni" ........ And a me phone.
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    changing the spirit of the thread a little, but I always price match at Evans. ALWAYS. It's become somewhat of a sport given that everything they sell is overpriced right down to the chainring bolts, So that's what I price match to: right down to the chainring bolts. takes ages, saves a fortune and everytime I do it some poor member of staff has to write a report justifying the price match, the mission is to have them drowning in their own forms.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Last time I went to Evans they liberated 599 of my pennies for a single (ONE) inner tube. I'm in no rush to go there again. Mind you it was long stem and Specialized because they didn't have any others.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    and whilst we're dissecting Will's prediliction for modern yoof speak: what is 'Like 3 quid'?

£2.63 and half a mars bar, the equivalent in euros, that plastic money children use in infant school shop play????

and from the OP 'like £1.25' - feel free to fill in your own jocular comparitors.

slightly more seriously, Will with a students budget have a check in your local Asda, my hack bike that has been my commuter recently got a new full set of cables for £5 a few weeks back. they're not going to be Team Sky standard but they make the gears change & the brakes work properly and haven't needed adjusting for stretch yet.