Possible Reason For Crashes

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I just got sent this at work. Scary how it works :shock:

Very interesting and can explain why once in a while when driving a car you're suddenly surprised by something you hadn't seen (like a motorcycle). Strange…

Motion Induced Blindness

This is frightening! It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you (when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU. From a former Naval Aviator. This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time.

Click on the link below for a demonstration .... Safe for Work.

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    daviesee wrote:
    I just got sent this at work. Scary how it works :shock:

Very interesting and can explain why once in a while when driving a car you're suddenly surprised by something you hadn't seen (like a motorcycle). Strange…

Motion Induced Blindness

This is frightening! It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you (when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU. From a former Naval Aviator. This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time.

Click on the link below for a demonstration .... Safe for Work.

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html
    Yup, scary.

I suppose why Martin Brundle always says "Look, but never stare" Bit of cross thread posting.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Happens to me because I've got an enlarged blind spot in my right eye (precludes me from becoming an airline pilot). Result of a viral infection of my nervous system that left me blind for three months at the age of 16.

For a short while I thought my mum had been right all along and I stopped playing with it completely.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    Interesting. I have to admit I was a little sceptical when i started the test. Reminds me of the 'looming' phenomenon as well - when something is travelling directly towards you it is difficult to detect movement as its outline relative to the background changes very little - until it gets close then suddenly appears to accelerate towards you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    rjsterry wrote:
    Interesting. I have to admit I was a little sceptical when i started the test. Reminds me of the 'looming' phenomenon as well - when something is travelling directly towards you it is difficult to detect movement as its outline relative to the background changes very little - until it gets close then suddenly appears to accelerate towards you.
    A parachute jump is a very good example of that. A very calm, serene and surreal thing to partake in. Until the last 3 seconds :shock:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yeah you see with the brain than the eyes.

had a timely reminded of that about a month ago when a London Dynamo ran into me in Richmond Park, I was visible and stationary for 1/4 a mile or so, but he still just rode into my leg.

i'm sure his brain just disregarded me so didn't see me as you where.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    daviesee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    A parachute jump is a very good example of that. A very calm, serene and surreal thing to partake in. Until the last 3 seconds :shock:

I can promise you I was NOT calm when I jumped out :shock: It was the first damn time I'd flown as well, I sometimes think I'd not thought that through properly.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    yeah you see with the brain than the eyes.

had a timely reminded of that about a month ago when a London Dynamo ran into me in Richmond Park, I was visible and stationary for 1/4 a mile or so, but he still just rode into my leg.

i'm sure his brain just disregarded me so didn't see me as you where.

That might have been target fixation; see the pot hole, know you must avoid pot hole, keep eyes fixed on pot hole to make sure you don't ride straight over it, ride straight over it.

Use to happen to pilots when straffing targets. They would be concentrating so much on the target they they would forget not to crash into it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    i must say when I started to read this thread I expected it to be about looming. That is quite scary how often you lose the dots.
  • daviesee
    I can promise you I was NOT calm when I jumped out :shock:
    Yes. Sorry. I forgot about the initial 10 seconds of involuntary screaming until the chute opens and you count to 4 then "check canopy" :wink:
    Calm and serene after that though. For a while. :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I'm very much of the "Why get out of a perfectly good plane that's going to land anyway?" school of thought.
  • Kieran_Burns
    daviesee wrote:
    I can promise you I was NOT calm when I jumped out :shock:
    Yes. Sorry. I forgot about the initial 10 seconds of involuntary screaming until the chute opens and you count to 4 then "check canopy" :wink:
    Calm and serene after that though. For a while. :wink:

When we were doing the training I asked the question "how long would it take to hit the ground if the chute doesn't open?"

"19 seconds" came the reply.

"Great" says I "I'm counting to 20 THEN opening my eyes!"

:mrgreen:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Christ, I'm never riding on a rotating grid, populated with yellow dots, again !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Thanks for that link, really interesting.

I remember a while back that there were some public information adverts about motorcycles. It seems that people see that off at a distance, but then the brain blanks them out (like the dots) so the driver then pulls out and smashes into them.

It is if I recall a condition that can develop or get worse, but the person may well be unaware of it until a bad day out occurs.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    wonderbra-hello-boys.jpg
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    kelsen wrote:
    wonderbra-hello-boys.jpg

Yes I remember my physics teacher at school (way back last century) telling the class he was cycling along when he first saw a girl in a mini-skirt in the '60s and nearly came off his bike. :D
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup it's a bit like this one from a while back

how many passes does the team in white make?
    FCN = 4
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    corshamjim wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    wonderbra-hello-boys.jpg

Yes I remember my physics teacher at school (way back last century) telling the class he was cycling along when he first saw a girl in a mini-skirt in the '60s and nearly came off his bike. :D

Must.... not.... make.... the.... joke....
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    kelsen wrote:
    wonderbra-hello-boys.jpg

oooh, subversive for in here nowadays.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    MODS! MODS! I am nearly offended on behalf of someone else!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    This is a good demo of the effect guess which one is the cyclist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.