1st commute of the year in shorts and jersey

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I rode in wearing a jersey and shorts for the first time this year this morning. It was barely 8 degrees when I left, so I was also wearing winter socks, a merino vest, arm warmers, a gilet, winter gloves and a winter hat. But I was still in shorts and a jersey, and the forecast is for it to be 17 degrees when I ride home this afternoon!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    T shirt and shades this morning for me!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • graeme_s-2
    No shades required here today - it wasn't forecast to be, but it was quite misty out first thing.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have has shorts on for about 2 weeks now!

Still wearing a long sleeve baselayer for the mornings and a gillet for both legs though.

Though the gillet will probably get droped in the next two weeks.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • graeme_s-2
    I've been in roubaix lined 3/4 length bibs until today. Been a bit warm on the way home a couple of times, but they've about right in the mornings.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    +21c since about 11am this morning, made a good start on the 'tan' lovely jubbly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    headed out at 7.30 this morning - stripped off the leg warmers, gloves and arm warmers at about 10am. Glorious out.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The knees have not quite come out yet. The overshoes and buff came off two weeks ago, and Friday night's commute was the first with fingerless gloves. But no knees yet. Baby steps.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gorgeous today.

Tried out my summer lightweight rapha jersey that I got in the fire-sale for the first time.

loved. It.

Never really fussed about cycling kit before - it's all largely the same to me -but it was lurvely.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Swapped the shades from clear to yellow, nice late afternoon ride, shorts and tee.

Maybe still a bit nippy for the morning run, probably rock the knee warmers next week.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I did a commute home last week for the first time in mitts, might be a bit nippy first thing tomorrow but I will be in shorts just not mitts.
  • graeme_s-2
    I had high hopes of getting out this weekend in the gorgeous weather, but I've got a horrible cold, cough and chesty thing going on, so have spent the whole weekend in doors :(
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    the weekend was lush as i'm sure all this week is going to be apart from the early mornings and late evenings which are/will still be nail bitingly cold - so just the times when i'm riding then :evil:

This morning 3C icy cold brisk wind and haze
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I never cycled in anything other than shorts all winter...
    A chill in the air, but beautifully clear - and the clocks going forward allowed me to catch the sunrise.
    Going to be hot going home.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I can't believe what I pass people wearing - they either have very thin blood or aren't trying. I'm in shorts, summer socks, mitts and (my one concession) a long-sleeved jersey and I pass a guy wrapped up like I do when it's -8C!

First 19mph commute of the year - will be pushing for regular 20's and the odd 21mph this year once it warms up
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH