minimum alcohol price

2»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    socrates wrote:
    Northern and it is still Ireland and I am not saying that for any political reasons. South of the border is Southern Ireland, Eire or Ireland. Paying my taxes to the British exchequer and have no problem with paying the taxes, my problem is what the taxes are used for.
    Ah yes, we should all have the option to choose what our taxes are spent on :roll:
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Dont be silly. We cannot have an option but should they really be spent on wars in countries that have nothing to do with us. Iraq were no threat to the UK but we had a PM at the time who wanted to be a John Wayne figure and look where it has landed us. How many hospitals etc could we have built if we had not spent billions on these actions. I always think of him when I stand in line at an airport clutching my little plastic bag of liquids. Does he?
  • bompington
    socrates wrote:
    Dont be silly. We cannot have an option but should they really be spent on wars in countries that have nothing to do with us. Iraq were no threat to the UK but we had a PM at the time who wanted to be a John Wayne figure and look where it has landed us. How many hospitals etc could we have built if we had not spent billions on these actions. I always think of him when I stand in line at an airport clutching my little plastic bag of liquids. Does he?
    You have a point about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but something about the "countries that have nothing to do with us" just reminds me a lot of this sort of thing:
    How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel that has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war
    (before flying off to talk with that reasonable Hitler chap)
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I agree to a certain extent but the difference was that Hitler was becoming a threat to the UK. Some people believe that Chamberlain actually did us a favour with his "peace in out time" as Britain was at that time so ill prepared for war and it bought some time. Wouldn't argue that point as I dont know enough about it.
  • bompington
    socrates wrote:
    Wouldn't argue that point as I dont know enough about it.
    For goodness' sake, this is an internet forum, since when did lack of knowledge stop anyone from pontificating? :wink:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    i dont live in the UK thank goodness - what a dump the city centre have become where there is as little self-respect as there is for others. I was sick of going into town on a saturday morning trying to step over vomit and not inhale the stench of piss

this wont affect steady responsible drinkers, just pissheads, who clearly cant help themselves so rule have to be applied.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    bompington wrote:
    socrates wrote:
    Ah yes, we should all have the option to choose what our taxes are spent on :roll:
    I do like the sound of opting out of paying taxes for alcohol induced numpties - just leave them to pickle themselves not squander good money on sorting out self induced stupidity
  • price goes up - vat take goes up (or am i missing something here)

or am i just been cynical
  • This is only the start. Once introduced, the minimum price per unit will go up. Doctors have almost won their argument with tobacco, this is the next target (although people still smoke).
    It may not affect you now, but in the future it could. Someone addicted to alcohol will not stop because of a price hike, they will just spend less on food etc, or steal it, or buy black-market fake vodka. All of these are possibly a worse outcome than drinking Frosty Jack 7.5%* cider bought from the shop.
    Personally, I think better education is the answer. After all, alcohol consumption per head in the UK has been declining for years.
    *other cheap strong drinks are available.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    Its not just 'chavs'.....
    Its the middle class aswell who will go home and drink a bottle of wine every night,
    They are costing the NHS money aswell as more and more are suffering from liver failure.

Upping the price of alcohol will only affect those on a low income which I feel is unfair.

Education is whats needed, not price fixing.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mar_k wrote:
    Its not just 'chavs'.....
    Its the middle class aswell who will go home and drink a bottle of wine every night,
    They are costing the NHS money aswell as more and more are suffering from liver failure.

Upping the price of alcohol will only affect those on a low income which I feel is unfair.

Education is whats needed, not price fixing.

True, but if they're sitting at home, they're not out being anti-social and causing problems in the town centers.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mar_k wrote:

Nah, upping the price of alcohol will only affect those with no taste, which serves them right :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    MattC59 wrote:
    mar_k wrote:

Nah, upping the price of alcohol will only affect those with no taste, which serves them right :lol:

No taste? Are ya kidding! :wink:

drunks.jpg
  • mar_k
    That picture reminds of the characters you see around swindon,
    My brother used to live there and this is what it was like
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    If any politician thinks this will make a spit of difference to the binge drinking culture that has developed over the years then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • mar_k
    The things is people always seem to find money some how, Now I may be wrong with my next statement but those who are binge drinking are mostly those who live at home with their parents so I guess they have more disposable income. A slight rise wouldn't effect them anyway
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    MattC59 wrote:
    mar_k wrote:

No taste? Are ya kidding! :wink:

drunks.jpg

Says it all, doesn't it!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • ilm_zero7
    I am not sure if this supports the case for a minimum price per unit of alcohol or Involuntary Euthanasia
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It's just a way of raking in more money by a government.
    If it's to reduce the number of drunks, staggering, puking & brawling around our towns & cities, then that can be done under existing laws on drunkenness.
    If they can afford to pay to get that drunk, get into clubs & pay for taxis to get into town, then they can afford £100 fines for their behaviour.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    I am not sure if this supports the case for a minimum price per unit of alcohol or Involuntary Euthanasia

They are our future..........................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    themekon wrote:
    If any politician thinks this will make a spit of difference to the binge drinking culture that has developed over the years then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.
    +1000
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • That picture confirms to me that we made the right decision to move away.
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Just great, B&Q won't serve me anymore for bins and meths and now me smeggin' Diamond White's goin' up
    6865624350_7809f352c2.jpg
    6a0120a65319a8970b014e8722fa5b970d-800wi by tonyJenn, on Flickr
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    That picture confirms to me that we made the right decision to move away.

+1 :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Sounds like more Tory attacks on the poor, and just after cutting 50% rate of tax for themselves and their rich buddies who pay their bills.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    A minimum price of 40p a unit won't really affect your bottle of wine, it would mean it has to be a least around £5 which is what you are probably paying already if you've any taste. It's intended target is cheap cider and beer.

no it doesn't work like that . to maintain the price differential, all alcohol will increase by the same % , so the dearer your favoured tipple the more it will cost
    and its all subject to VAT
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Makes complete sense to me.

Global warming, alcohol abuse, tobacco addiction, congestion, air quality...... etc, etc, etc...

Can all be solved simply by raising taxes.

Sarcasm now switched off.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ilm_zero7
    team47b wrote:
    That picture confirms to me that we made the right decision to move away.

+1 :D
    exactly
  • Reminds me, must go pick up my renewed alcohol licence for this year! 8)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    nathancom wrote:
    Sounds like more Tory attacks on the poor, and just after cutting 50% rate of tax for themselves and their rich buddies who pay their bills.

The scottish parliament and Alex Salmond have been all over the same idea for a couple of years now...are they tory as well?