Broken commuter bike; recommend new frame?

thegiantbiker
thegiantbiker Posts: 212
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, the commuter bike frame is broken. I'm looking to replace it with something fairly tough. Preferably 4x style so I can muck about in the woods at lunchtime, but will go for a good cross country frame if there's one going. have done some ebaying without much luck, so I figure having a few more people with their eyes open may help. I need a large frame as I'm over 6 foot and I'm looking to spend up to 100 pounds second hand.

EDIT: Part sizes:

1&1/8 with external headset, normal clamp front mech, threaded BB, hydraulic disks, quick release rear wheel.

Seatpost: 27.2
Seatclamp: 31.8
Big guy; small air!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kind of depends what you have and what parts might be transferrable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Got an 18 inch white on one inbred (steel) frame going spare if interested. Can take up to 120mm forks although better with 100mm or rigid in my view. Had little off road use; couple of stratches - used mainly for commuting. About 18 months / 2 yrs old. Would make a great commuter and / or trial/XC bike. Comes with FSA orbit headset. £125 posted. PM if interested.

Even if not for you, I'd have a look at On - One as a company - especially if buying frame only. Kinesis do some good stuff too - the Phase.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What commuter do you have the components coming from? You obviously want to be able to transfer as much as possible!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What commuter do you have the components coming from? You obviously want to be able to transfer as much as possible!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yup, just got back from college so only just got the chance to measure it up.

1&1/8 with external headset, normal clamp front mech, threaded BB, hydraulic disks, quick release rear wheel.

Seatpost: 27.2
    Seatclamp: 31.8
    Big guy; small air!
  • passout wrote:
    Got an 18 inch white on one inbred (steel) frame going spare if interested.

Thanks for the offer, but 18 inch may be too small and also that frame sounds a bit too nice just to leave at college and the park.
    Big guy; small air!