Migranes??

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
I had a migrane at the start of this month and just one today, resulting in finishing school early and getting a good 2 hours sleep. Before the one I had at the start of the month, I had never had a migrane before. I have had my fair share of headaches before but they are un-related.

Can anyone help me here because I have never had them before and I don't know what is causing them.

It might be dehydration since I didn't get a lot to drink today. It could also be stress. I've got around 4 exams in June that are like 2 days apart from each other. Has anyone had the same problem?

How can I prevent these, or can I?

Help needed everyone :(
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I had a migrane at the start of this month and just one today, resulting in finishing school early and getting a good 2 hours sleep. Before the one I had at the start of the month, I had never had a migrane before. I have had my fair share of headaches before but they are un-related.

Can anyone help me here because I have never had them before and I don't know what is causing them.

It might be dehydration since I didn't get a lot to drink today. It could also be stress. I've got around 4 exams in June that are like 2 days apart from each other. Has anyone had the same problem?

How can I prevent these, or can I?

Help needed everyone :(

I got migraines when i was in school -> apparently they're quite common in teenage guys -> and most people (including myself) grow out of them..

They are usually triggered by something, and dehydration could be a factor -> its just that once the headache comes on its going to explode... and not go away with a glass of water!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Cheese and chocolate are quite common triggers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,563
    DesWeller wrote:
    Cheese and chocolate are quite common triggers.
    Twas cheese for me - after a humungous migraine after when I was about 18 I gave up cheese, and the only migraine in the next 20 years was after unwittingly eating a fish pie with an ounce of cheese in it between six people.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    There's a few variants of migraines, each with a common trigger. I recently suffered occular migraines and it was stress/fatigue that was causing them. I started a new, less stressful job that didn't entail shift/on call work and the migraines have now stopped.

As above, chocolate and cheese are common factors as are caffeinated drinks and food additives, such as artificial sweeteners and MSG. That's what I can recall my GP telling me anyway.

I'd go and see your GP if they persist.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I get migraines a lot. As in, stuck in bed for 6hrs migraines.

Things that cause them for me - a disruption in my daily pattern - especially if that disruption is an exciting one or a disruption to a stressful pattern. So, for example, I tend to get migraines after I've gone to see a bike race and finally calmed down, or get them at the end of exams.

Alcohol certainly doesn't help - especially if you haven't had much in a while.

Also - how old are you?

I've noticed they get less and less frequent as I get older - my body seems to tolerate changes in patterns better.
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    I get them too, not so many that cause me to be bedridden. Typically mine are a pain above the right eye and all the symptoms of a full migraine (nausea, blurred vision, numbness in my hand. These last two days and typically a monthly occurance. About twice a year I get a full blown migraine where I can't stand being near daylight and have to lie down in a dark room for 6-7 hours. These used to be more frequent when I was younger (i had my first one in my early twenties).

Mine would seem to be triggered by tiredness - if I had a poor sleeping pattern for a few days a migraine might happen but then sometimes completely at random with no reason I might get one.

To a lot of people the next bit often sounds like hocus pocus but so far is working for me. I saw a chiropractor (on the advice of a friend). X-rays showed a straightening in my neck which can trap nerves in the spine trigering migraines. I've had regular adjustments since October last year and to this point (touching lots of wood and keeping fingers crossed etc.) I've only had one mild migraine which went within a day.

Everyone is different and it may be coincedence (as Rick says I might be growing out of it) but so far the only drawback is that it has been rather expensive so new bike purchases have gone on hold!!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Migraines can be a bit catch all phrase. I suffer from symptoms more like neuralgia but then don't have the other issues, and have horse tablets Cocodamol 30/100 to take although I never seem to get through the huge amount the GP gives me. My sister who is a Dentist tells me it is connected to my Wisdom teeth and occasional swelling in my nodes. Quite big surgery to have them removed which I don't fancy. No identified trigger as yet I eat loads of cheese, chocolate and wine/beer. A few years ago I had a really stressful job and homelife with no episodes, got a less stressful job, tidied up the rest of my life and had 3 or 4 in the last year... Speak to your dentist, they know more about your head and all things in it than your average GP.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I remember when I was at School and College that I suffered bad with Migraines and this carried on into my early working life, turns out hydration was the problem, I would go out in the morning and not drink until lunchtime and then only a small cup and then not drink until I got home.

My kids suffered the same until they confided in me that they weren't drinking enough.

Carry a bidon around with you and drink at least 250ml each hour, preferably more and see if your migraines go.

Hope this helps?
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I've suffered from migraines for as long as I can remember. The bad kind, headaches, vomiting, blindness etc.. that send me to bed for 8 hours in a dark room. I stay away from dark chocolate as I think that triggers them. Have heard a lot of processed meats can trigger them in some people, cheese and dairy in others. Also, stress, and changes in pressure due to the weather can affect some. An old work colleague got them at least once a week due to the pressure changes. My advice, keep a diary, when you get a migraine, record what you ate, how much sleep you had, how much you drank, and you felt generally before it arrived. That way you can spot common attributes. I wish there was a cure.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I don't get many though if I do it tends to be the whole vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound with tunnel vision rapidly approaching, to the point I can hardly see.

i'm mid 30's had the first one maybe 2 years ago.

on the whole stress etc can be triggers for myself blurry text on computers is a biggy.
  • Don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing around 17-18?

My son suffered from migraines (tunnel vision variety) between 16 & 18, particularly when playing rugby. I can't remember where we read it, but we gave him Magnesium supplements, and the migraines disappeared within weeks.

Only tangentially connected, but I suffer from 'restless leg syndrome' and Magnesium + lots of bananas (filled with potassium) make it go away. Magnesium, sodium and potassium are all involved in nerve transmission.

Worth a shot.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I get migranes triggered by very bright light, but find I can tell if coming on and rest my eyes, closing them, shielding them and wearing dark shades can stop or greatly reduce the problem, I have sat in work wearing shades before. Usually get visual zigzag etc in my vision , has caused problems before when on the bike and a sudden glare off a car triggers it.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I suffer now and again from them. I think I've narrowed it down to a combination of being dehydrated and also tiredness as being the triggers.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I used to get a fair few from my late teens onwards, 2 a month for a while, and they were ones that needed a day in bed to get over. I never detected a specific trigger and I think had similar issues as Rick, a change in pattern of some sort. I had a lot of mine on saturday mornings I suspect due to some sort of mental trigger that it was the weekend and so regular sleep and meal patterns were preventative, I would get up on weekend mornings the same time as I would for mid-week and eat breakfast the same time too. I was eventually prescribed Naramig for mine. The gaps between them grew and I'm now down to about 2 attacks a year.
  • kieranb wrote:
    I get migranes triggered by very bright light, but find I can tell if coming on and rest my eyes, closing them, shielding them and wearing dark shades can stop or greatly reduce the problem, I have sat in work wearing shades before. Usually get visual zigzag etc in my vision , has caused problems before when on the bike and a sudden glare off a car triggers it.

Mine are triggered by the same. Gives me an excuse to justify expensive shades :-) Fluorescent tubes are another trigger for me, especially flickering ones.

I've known a few people affected by migraines, and all have different triggers, my wifes are hormonal, my father in laws are triggered by oranges, and an old friend was due to his circadian rhythm being wrong apparently.

If they become a regular feature, then get checked out and start working to eliminate causes, noting any patterns, we're all different.
  • joshr96
    I get migraines a lot. As in, stuck in bed for 6hrs migraines.

Things that cause them for me - a disruption in my daily pattern - especially if that disruption is an exciting one or a disruption to a stressful pattern. So, for example, I tend to get migraines after I've gone to see a bike race and finally calmed down, or get them at the end of exams.

Alcohol certainly doesn't help - especially if you haven't had much in a while.

Also - how old are you?

I've noticed they get less and less frequent as I get older - my body seems to tolerate changes in patterns better.

Im 15, and hate change, always need to be stuck in a constant routine. This could be why :)
    Crossbow Hybrid
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    My wife was an exams officer in a school, she says you should go and see your GP now, establish that you are getting migraines. Then, in June, if you do feel bad and can't make or can't finish one of your exams, you can get a note from your GP that the school can give to the exam board as "special consideration". This may get you some marks back or even give you a result for an exam you didn't complete.
  • Have you been properly diagnosed with Migraines?

If not then visit your doctor.

There are many problems that cause head pain and other neurological side effects.

My wife thought she had Migraines for a number of years - after a proper diagnosis it was determined that she had Migraines much bigger and uglier brother: Cluster headaches. These are pretty much on the limit of human pain experience but with proper treatment they can be managed. Although the sight of my wife banging her head on the patio with blood streaming down her face in an effort to stop the pain makes a mockery of the word 'manage'.

Just go and get properly diagnosed - a good first step.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    See your GP and consider getting an effective topical remedy such as Migealeve or Immigran (brilliant for me). You need to know your migraine, not necessarily the trigger, but the onset symptoms & take the medication immediately, it will often be enough to stave it off, aided by a few co-codamol or higher dose ibuprofen. Still no good in exams so a GPs letter to school now would be an excellent idea.

You should keep a migraine diary:, food, routine, weather, emotional state etc and how long & what symptoms you suffer, to see if you can identify a common factor that triggers them or ramps up a headache into a migraine.

Physio, chiropractic or massage (indian head massage particularly for me) can help bring it down from 11 to bearable. It could be a long time to discern what type you have and how (frequently) they strike, mine tend to be clusters & as best as they can tell are related to constricted blood flow, there's no foody trigger, I can go months with nothing & then have a crippling several weeks.
  • joshr96
    Gizmodo wrote:
    My wife was an exams officer in a school, she says you should go and see your GP now, establish that you are getting migraines. Then, in June, if you do feel bad and can't make or can't finish one of your exams, you can get a note from your GP that the school can give to the exam board as "special consideration". This may get you some marks back or even give you a result for an exam you didn't complete.

Thanks mate, I phoned my doctors and have an appointment on tuesday. :)
    Crossbow Hybrid
  • cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    Hi Josh. I used to get them at your age as well and parents assumed that it was because I was under pressure with studying etc. However, went to GP who suggested (as many folks on here have done) that I kept a diary. Turns out they were totally down to changes in atmospheric pressure when there was noticeable weather changes...especially during thunderstorms and when it turned that muggy warm way. Good news is that I grew out of them.
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.