Crest CX Ray wheels

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... 47957d7f7e

Would these wheels be strong enough for aggressive singletrack, with the odd small jump and knarly rolling drops?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    how small a drop is a small drop? my crests on pro2's and dt competition spokes have taken 3-4 drops to flat, cx rays are similar to the spokes i use, so they should be fine if you plan to go anywhere near that height, I would worry a little about them on anything bigger than that. as for rocks you'll be fine. if you are around 12 stone I would say you would be fine, any heavier and you might find them abit too light
  • widge34
    Jumps wouldn't be anymore than 3ft and I'm 12.5 stone.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Rims yes, spokes definitely yes (shame they are laced with Alloy nipples but hey, who wants to be able to true a wheel anyway?) Hubs, hmmmm. I would be cautious. They are lightweight alloy axle jobs. Probably not meant for much beyond XC. I guess it depends on how smooth you are.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    How about crest rims on hope pro II hubs? I can get these for the same price.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    They would be fine I am sure. TBH don't take it as read the trizoid XC hubs are not suitable, but Superstar themselves seem to go to great lengths to put you off using them for anything more than XC, whereas hope will warranty the proII for any use.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd not bother with CX-Rays, they have a higher fatigue strength, but if you build with alloy nips it just means the nipples break instead. I broke several when I used CX-Rays. No lighter than Revolutions, and no stiffer.

It's not really about the size of the drops, it's about you as a rider. A 3ft drop into a transition ridden smoothly will be absolutely fine. A 3ft drop ridden clumsily onto flat concrete, they're not ideal!
  • widge34
    blogs wrote:
    thanks for these.g.gif

Can't see photo
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If doing drops of 3ft or more, flat to flat, regularly, look at the Arch EX rims.
  • Hello in my opinion the weakest link is the rims. The hubs will be fine, they are called XC as they only have QR fittings available not thru axle etc. The bearings and axle are exactly the same as our switch hubs which are fine for DH use. Actually a friend had one of the first ones on his Demo 8 (odd QR back end) for about 4 years and did several trips to the alps on them, without any issues.

From a warranty point of view how will i know what riding you have done with them by looking at them? We warranty them for faults regardless of riding style. If you bend an XC rims DHing thats a different story, thats crash damage.

The big benifit of CX-rays is because they are bladed you can put a tool on them to stop them twisting, this makes sure there is no spoke twist at high tensions when building. DT revs are useless at high tensions as they twist so easily and once you ride them they loosen off randomly as they settle in. Plus they are a lot stronger due to the forging process.

The nipples are Sapim teflon coated ones and they dont tend to seize like everything else ive ever used.

Any questions just let me know, Neil (Superstar)
  • once you ride them they loosen off randomly as they settle in

This is nonsense - a well built wheel does not 'settle in': if built correctly the wheel is already 'settled'. A good wheel does not require re tensioning or retruing if used for the intended purpose.

True, Revs are harder to build with, but a wheelbuilder worth his salt should easily be able to yield good results with them.
  • benpinnick
    Hey Neil, why does your website say the opposite about your hubs? It clearly says that you should not use the XC for DH use.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    once you ride them they loosen off randomly as they settle in

This is nonsense - a well built wheel does not 'settle in': if built correctly the wheel is already 'settled'. A good wheel does not require re tensioning or retruing if used for the intended purpose.

True, Revs are harder to build with, but a wheelbuilder worth his salt should easily be able to yield good results with them.
    as they have done for years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I agree if the builder is good they "should" have no issues. I quit using revs along time ago and dont miss them one bit. But im willing to put money they couldnt get as high a tension safely with revs as a CXray in a blade holder. For me its about repeatability and reliability, it just makes a PITA job into something easy and accurate.

The item comments are made to direct people to a more suitible product for them. We dont reccomend it as we have a burlier hub designed specifically for DH, but they will be fine in real life. From a warranty point of view it makes no difference as we would not be able to tell what you did with them, so saying it will or wont be covered is pointless. If its a manufacturing fault its covered by warranty regardless of what you do.

Regards, Neil (superstar)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Neil, you might want to see this thread too if you have missed it:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12843386
  • widge34
    Well it's ironic. I've just come in from a 20mile ride only to find the rear wheel has a lot of sideways play, bearings have probably gone. So since I was thinking about changing wheels decided to purchase the Stans crest on Superstar evo hubs. Hopefully be here Tuesday.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013