2nd hand pitfalls

gregwari
gregwari Posts: 230
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

Looking at getting a second hand specialized stumpjumper (fsr) or commencal meta 5.5 - in both cases my budget stretches to a 2010 bike. Does anyone have either of the above or know of any inherent issues I should look for (I know the 2009 or earlier meta's had the odd frame crack issue, but thats all I'm aware of)

Cheers

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    it isn't only structural issues, any number of things could be worn and need attention forks/shocks, drive train, linkages etc, unless you have some idea of what your looking at, it could prove very costly,i'm not trying to put you off, there's plenty of good bikes out there, but these problems can happen, just something to keep in mind
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My 2009 Meta had a weakness; the frame bent around the drop out area - no crash involved. It was replaced under warranty. The meta handled great but I think lots of us had problems.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Private sale 2nd hand or through a retailer? If the latter they can and should full service and deal with all the worn bits, and they should really provide some kind of warranty. You have some basic rights there anyway and should really still get the remains of any manufacturer warranty though some try to get out of it by saying it's non-transferable.

Ex-demo is a good way to get something 2nd hand. Will be the shop bike, perhaps barely used or may have been used a fair bit, but probably not as much as someone's regular ride. Expect about a 30% discount from new depending on condition.
  • I read somewhere that Commencials were now made by Giant, the quality control and quality has got better and the number of failures has gone down.... ;0)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    deadkenny wrote:
    Private sale 2nd hand or through a retailer? If the latter they can and should full service and deal with all the worn bits, and they should really provide some kind of warranty. You have some basic rights there anyway and should really still get the remains of any manufacturer warranty though some try to get out of it by saying it's non-transferable.

Ex-demo is a good way to get something 2nd hand. Will be the shop bike, perhaps barely used or may have been used a fair bit, but probably not as much as someone's regular ride. Expect about a 30% discount from new depending on condition.

This. Just bought 2nd hand bike from a shop (ex-rental) (ab)used for 2 months at the end of last season. €3,999 bike for €2000! They've given it a full service & told me if I do get any problems bring it back and they'll sort it out and if it gets nicked or I smash it to pieces they'll give me an invoice for the insurance company. All good.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8