£20 for the whole year's bike servicing costs*

Fatamorgana
Fatamorgana Posts: 257
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I may be missing something here, but it seems that Halfords are offering (and may have been for a long time?) a plan where by you pay £20 up front for the whole year's servicing costs.

(*plus you pay for any parts) For 12 months.

Seems like a bargin. I think it may be per bike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the question is?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    It is only supposed to be sold on new bikes, or bikes in sufficiently good condition. Any other bikes are subject to a £30 service before hand to get them to standard. However, stores are rated on how many bike care plans they sell each week, compared to number of bikes. This forces staff to forget about the initial service. Would you really want to be forced to take your pride and joy to halfords for servicing for a whole year? I used to work there, I wouldn't!
  • nicklouse wrote:
    And the question is?

It's a statement which attracts opinions, why bother if there's nothing constructive to say !!

Basically Halford's get £20 for the privilege of repairing and servicing your bike using parts from their own store which are on the expensive side - it probably gives them an opportunity to sell accessories and such - much like supermarkets sell items as a loss to get you in the store where you are then likely to buy other things

I hate to tar everyone with the same brush as i'm sure there are some good bike mechanics who work at Halfords but my experience is that i wouldn't trust them with my pride and joy too many staff without a frickin clue what there doing !

Get yourself a Haynes manual, check the tutorials on here and for stuff that you don't fancy attempting support a good local bike shop.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    nicklouse wrote:
    And the question is?

It's a statement which attracts opinions, why bother if there's nothing constructive to say !!
    the question is, why are you posting this here, your not asking for help with a mechanical problem, this belongs in the general area not Workshop & Tech
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I never 'service' my bike as such, most of what a road orientated bike needs every 6 months an MTB will need every ride at this time of year......now if I could roll up with the MTB caked in mud after every ride and they cleaned and regreased/oiled/lubed it I may be tempted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    chez_m356 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    And the question is?

the question is, why are you posting this here, your not asking for help with a mechanical problem, this belongs in the general area not Workshop & Tech
    exactly.

pointless statement for the workshop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    And the question is?

exactly.

pointless statement for the workshop.

Ahh sorry my bad, thought you being a grumpy troll :D
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    It's clear that some are indeed confused.
    I posted the information up, and let's be clear about this, it was / is information on a forum that permits both information as well as discussion and debate, so it's rather disingenuous for three trolls to pitch in with worthless comments where none were either called for nor asked.

I merely posted this information so that those who are of a mechanical bias or require assistance and find themselves on the mech' part of this forum may find this information and subsequent debate of some value.

The moral herein lies that if you have nothing constructive to add or contribute then please, please, refrain from trolling or even venturing onto your keyboards, be it this forum or any other.

I consider this labour plan extremely worthy of a 2nd look (on my eBay Special) as I've already had a mini service for the £20, I have a BB that needs replacing and that's just for starters.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Might be worth checking the small print for what is actually included in a 'service'. Replacing a BB may not be covered?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Fat morg - as you're so forum savvey why not look at the post counts. You'd stuggle to be a troll with those counts here. Plus, they've no need for a service by anyone else, they are DIYs and in the trade!
  • nicklouse

The moral herein lies that if you have nothing constructive to add or contribute then please, please, refrain from trolling or even venturing onto your keyboards, be it this forum or any other.
    so it was an ifo post. For referance those go in general. Here is for asking for mechanical help.

If you have something to say use general if you want help use buying for buying and the Workshop/tech well maybe you get the idea.

Anyway topic closed.
This discussion has been closed.