Shimano RD-C050 rear mech - need replacement

alex_uk
alex_uk Posts: 56
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear mech is broken but I'm having trouble working out what replacement I need. It's a Shimano Tourney system and the mech has RD-C050 stamped on the body. It's also got an interesting cable pulley.

Comments

• alex_uk
    Here's some pictures of it
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any shimano rear mech not 10spd.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • alex_uk
    Thanks Nick!

I think the mech needs to have a spring the other way around to normal, because the shifter lets the cable out going to 1 and draws the cable in going to 7.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would be called Rapid Rise. Generally harder to find, especially in lower end mechs, but normally cheaper as not many people want them. I didn't think Shimano made them any more.
    A standard mech will still work, just the other way round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are searching, they are sometimes also called 'low normal'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alex_uk
    Thanks for giving the terminology - that's made searching very much easier! :)

So, would a 9spd work in this situation - such as the Shimano XT M770 9 Speed Rear Derailleur? Not that I really want to shell out for an XT mech, but I'm just curious if the 9sp are compatible on a 7sp system, or if they are execting a much narrower chain and therefore would not work?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will work fine. Any Shimano mech except 10 speed will work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • alex_uk
    Thanks for the clarification :)